DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fixing flashing tape to pebble dash. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/90046-re-fixing-flashing-tape-pebble-dash.html)

andrewpreece February 6th 05 09:47 PM

wrote in message
The flashing between my flat roof and the side wall of the house,
which is pebble das, has started to leak. I was thinking of using
flashing tape, how does this adhere to the pebble dash?
Any advice or comments appreciated.

Not terribly well I'd have thought: have you considered chiselling flat the
pebbledash in the area directly under the flashing? Thereis a primer
available for flashing tape, it may be necessary on a dusty surface.
Finally, it might be worth heating up the tape a little to get it to stick
better - bitumen is not very tacky at low temperature.

Andy.

Greg C February 7th 05 12:11 AM

wrote:

The flashing between my flat roof and the side wall of the house,
which is pebble das, has started to leak. I was thinking of using
flashing tape, how does this adhere to the pebble dash?

It doesn't. Flashing tape is only any good on smooth brickwork
and even then not that good. You should use a grinder to cut a
channel in the mortar betweek brick layers and let some decent
flashing into said gap (you can get an L-shaped profile PVC panel
that's good for fixing split flashings). It's then supposed to be
pointed up with fresh mortar but I think bitumen sealant does a
better job.

Greg

dave @ stejonda February 7th 05 05:48 PM

In message , Greg C
writes
Flashing tape is only any good on smooth brickwork and even then not
that good. You should use a grinder to cut a channel in the mortar
betweek brick layers and let some decent flashing into said gap (you
can get an L-shaped profile PVC panel that's good for fixing split
flashings). It's then supposed to be pointed up with fresh mortar but I
think bitumen sealant does a better job.

Thank-you for your post. You've answered several questions that have
been running around my brain for a while. :)

--
dave @ stejonda