DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Distance from power to washing machine outlet (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/89975-distance-power-washing-machine-outlet.html)

John Borrman February 6th 05 02:50 PM

Distance from power to washing machine outlet

Hi, Just got a question.
Wondering if theres a required minimum distance between the washing machine
trap and a plug socket. The socket has a isolation switch above the worktop.
Thanks

Lurch February 6th 05 03:10 PM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:50:42 -0000, "John Borrman"
strung together this:

Hi, Just got a question.
Wondering if theres a required minimum distance between the washing machine
trap and a plug socket. The socket has a isolation switch above the worktop.

Not a specific distance as such but a bit of common sense comes in
useful, e.g. don't put the socket directly next to it where it could
get drenched if the pipe overflows.
--

SJW

John Borrman February 6th 05 03:19 PM

The reason I say this is because the only place for it to go is right next
to it..... It has been placed a little lower than the plug this should be
ok?

Lurch February 6th 05 03:26 PM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:19:46 -0000, "John Borrman"
strung together this:

The reason I say this is because the only place for it to go is right next
to it..... It has been placed a little lower than the plug this should be
ok?

Probably, if the top of the pipe is below the bottom of the socket
then it should be OK. On a related point, is the WM standpipe high
enough? There's not usually much room between the top of the pipe and
the bottom of the woktop when they're installed correctly.
--

SJW

Lurch February 6th 05 04:36 PM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:23:28 -0000, "John Borrman"
strung together this:

The reason I say this is because the only place for it to go is right next
to it..... It has been placed a little lower than the plug this should be
ok?

Probably, if the top of the pipe is below the bottom of the socket
then it should be OK. On a related point, is the WM standpipe high
enough? There's not usually much room between the top of the pipe and
the bottom of the woktop when they're installed correctly.

Oh the pipe will be over the top of the socket then......

Ah, to be fair, most probably are but it's best to be avoided if
possible. Could you not move the pipe to the side a bit? If not, then
I don't think yours would be much different to most others installed
in the UK.
--

SJW

Ben Blaukopf February 6th 05 07:09 PM

Lurch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:50:42 -0000, "John Borrman"
strung together this:

Hi, Just got a question.
Wondering if theres a required minimum distance between the washing machine
trap and a plug socket. The socket has a isolation switch above the worktop.

Not a specific distance as such but a bit of common sense comes in
useful, e.g. don't put the socket directly next to it where it could
get drenched if the pipe overflows.

Ah, but if the trap is directly above the socket, and also contains
a few old screws (as it was and did when I moved into this flat, and
I failed to check that the trap was clear before running the w/m),
then when the w/m inevitably overflows, it will drench the plug,
tripping the RCD, and thereby stopping the w/m from pumping any
more water all over the floor.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Ben

Lurch February 6th 05 07:47 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:09:46 GMT, Ben Blaukopf
strung together this:

Ah, but if the trap is directly above the socket, and also contains
a few old screws (as it was and did when I moved into this flat, and
I failed to check that the trap was clear before running the w/m),
then when the w/m inevitably overflows, it will drench the plug,
tripping the RCD, and thereby stopping the w/m from pumping any
more water all over the floor.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Hmm, I can't see a reference to such a cut-out in any BS regs or
manufacturers websites, perhaps it will incorporated in the next
amendments to BS7671?
--

SJW

Ian Stirling February 6th 05 07:50 PM

Ben Blaukopf wrote:
Lurch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:50:42 -0000, "John Borrman"
strung together this:

Hi, Just got a question.
Wondering if theres a required minimum distance between the washing machine
trap and a plug socket. The socket has a isolation switch above the worktop.

Not a specific distance as such but a bit of common sense comes in
useful, e.g. don't put the socket directly next to it where it could
get drenched if the pipe overflows.

Ah, but if the trap is directly above the socket, and also contains
a few old screws (as it was and did when I moved into this flat, and
I failed to check that the trap was clear before running the w/m),
then when the w/m inevitably overflows, it will drench the plug,
tripping the RCD, and thereby stopping the w/m from pumping any
more water all over the floor.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Can one obtain moisture detectors that are designed to trip an RCD?