Andy Evans

Default URGENT - install Main Medway or Mersey???

I have a plumber coming tomorrow, Friday, to install a Mersey to replace the 25
yr old Medway I currently have. He says the Mersey is better for my needs, but
the Medway is more expensive and appears to offer the possibility of using a
shower off it. Should I install a Medway or Mersey? Help - only a few hours to
go. Andy

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Cicero

"Andy Evans" wrote in message
I have a plumber coming tomorrow, Friday, to install a Mersey to replace

the 25
yr old Medway I currently have. He says the Mersey is better for my needs,

but
the Medway is more expensive and appears to offer the possibility of using

shower off it. Should I install a Medway or Mersey? Help - only a few

hours to
go. Andy

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

===================
Have a look at this:
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...in_Mersey.html It might be more
informative than your plumber.

It appears that the 'Medway' is the preferred one for the shower capability.
I'm surprised that the 'Mersey' doesn't have a shower capability because
all the 'multipoints' I've used over the past 25 years have been OK with a
shower because they work directly off mains water pressure.

Cic.

Andy Evans

I spoke again to my plumber - seems the main thing is that the Mersey is still
in production, while the Medway was discontinued 3months ago. He further said
that the only difference between the models was that the Medway had a flow rate
control at the heater (rather than at the tap), and noted that this was in
reality a rheostat rather than a thermostat. And so, being a flow rate
inhibitor you could achieve the same thing by turning the tap further on or
off. I suppose, therefore, that Baxi deleted the Medway since the Mersey was
doing the same job in practice. Is all this correct? Andy

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Colin Wilson

I have a plumber coming tomorrow, Friday, to install a Mersey to replace the 25
yr old Medway I currently have. He says the Mersey is better for my needs, but
the Medway is more expensive and appears to offer the possibility of using a
shower off it. Should I install a Medway or Mersey? Help - only a few hours to
go. Andy

I had a Medway that only lasted about 11 years - it had frequent problems
with lighting / staying lit, and then developed a leak (think it might
have been a holed diaphragm, but it was intermittent ?!?) - I could get a
shower out of it (restricted to about 6lpm), but to be fair, unless you
never want to have a bath i`d avoid multipoints altogether and get
something with a higher flow rate !

Christian McArdle

I have a plumber coming tomorrow, Friday, to install a Mersey to replace
the 25
yr old Medway I currently have.

Consider fitting a cheap combi boiler instead. If you choose well, you don't
have to attach radiators to it, although the plumbing will be more
complicated due to the primary circuit. A combi will provide better hot
water performance and better energy efficiency at the expense of size and
some complexity. You can run radiators off it too, if you ever find you need
to.

Christian.

Andy Evans

Thanks to all - got another Medway in the end, easy to fit the existing
installation. Looks fine.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
ohawker (Andy Evans) writes:
I spoke again to my plumber - seems the main thing is that the Mersey is still
in production, while the Medway was discontinued 3months ago. He further said
that the only difference between the models was that the Medway had a flow rate
control at the heater (rather than at the tap), and noted that this was in
reality a rheostat rather than a thermostat. And so, being a flow rate
inhibitor you could achieve the same thing by turning the tap further on or
off. I suppose, therefore, that Baxi deleted the Medway since the Mersey was
doing the same job in practice. Is all this correct? Andy

Looking at their website, it looks like the Medway, Mersey, and Thames
no longer exist. They now have just one unit which would appear to be
the Medway in functionality, although not in name.

The Thames was the fully Thermostatic one. I think the Medway was more
than just a flow control, but does not respond so well to fluctuating
input water pressure. The Mersey just relied on you adjusting the flow
rate at the tap for temperature control, but had a fixed flow restrictor
to limit the max flow. (I might have the Mersey and Medway the wrong way
round, but the Thames was definately the top of the range of the three.)

Going back over the years, they have changed the model names -- I had
a Main Medina IIRC which was probably circa 1980, which was equivalent
to the Mersey. They were designed to be replaceable/upgradable without
changing the flue -- the Medway has alternate mounting holes designed
to enable it to mount on the Medina's flue.

There is also a fanned flue version now, which they didn't used to do
AFAIK.

--
Andrew Gabriel