DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Some good news and some bad news (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8974-some-good-news-some-bad-news.html)

geoff May 27th 04 11:50 PM

Some good news and some bad news

In message , Peter Taylor
writes
geoff wrote
So you're saying it's in B#flat then ...

Sort of - depends on the temperature and the coefficient of expansion of the
piano strings - but there or thereabouts.

I bet my parents wish I had learned that piece when I was young

I tried to learn it but it was too hard. I was only 6 and the piano
lid was too
heavy. Besides, I could tell the time at that age.

You can watch a complete performance of it on line if you have Real Player.
It's at
http://home.flash.net/~jronsen/cagelinks.html Scroll down to where it says
Online Video Item 4 or search for 4'33". It even has background sounds of

jet
airliners and a police siren!

Err .. I'll pass on that one, despite the fact that I accidentally
missed it on the radio a couple of months ago

Oh NO!! Did you miss it? That was the best performance I never heard!
I've got
it on tape somewhere if you'd like to not hear it.

Yeah, a bit of a disaster that

However, I have some unused C90s somewhere, all is not lost

I reckon they are all practical jokers really. I can just see John Cage or
Tracey Emin getting home after a long day at the silent piano or at
the Tate,
and laughing their socks off at all the idiots who've been taken in.

Exactly

A bit like the current egg card adverts

Never watch adverts, but I expect you're right!

OK, it's time for me to go to "My Bed" and think of "All the people I
ever slept
with". On second thoughts no, the thought of Tracey Emin puts you off
don't it?

You might have my wife to answer to later

--
geoff

Mary Fisher May 28th 04 08:28 AM

Some good news and some bad news

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Mary

Mary

Quite contrary ...

Oh, how original (2)

Any more where they came from?

Yes, but I have to ration you to two /post

Oh go on, force yourself, I can count to three if pushed ...

Mary
off to Scotland, talk about me while I'm gone.

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher May 28th 04 09:00 AM

Some good news and some bad news

Peter Taylor wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"geoff" wrote in message

My test to measure the artistic quality is to ask myself whether if I
had produced the same, would I have received the same adulation / money
?
The answer being a resounding "no", I conclude that it's the artist, not
the art which is important. It seems a huge scam to me.

So it's about money!

I'm not keen on her work either, nor Damien's (even though he lived just up
the road and is a friend of one of our sons) but more knowledgeable people
than me rate their work highly. Who am I to argue with them?

Mary, don't you think there might be an element of the King's Suit of Clothes
syndrome here? Isn't it possible the "more knowledgeable" people you speak of
might be more influenced by what's fashionable at any point in time, rather than
by true talent? I don't know about modern art, but I know this certainly
happens in other art forms, particularly interior design, architecture and even
music. Do you remember that piece called "4 minutes 33 seconds" by John Cage,
where the "performer" opens the lid of the piano keyboard, sits for several
minutes in silence and then closes the lid again and takes his bow. Is there
really any talent in that? What do you think when you see all the people
applauding? Are they really experts, or are they brainless Lemmings following a
fashionable trend? It's the same with avant garde modern art. You can guess
what I think.

I'll throw in my 2c worth.

Most great artists that we revere from the past were not recognised in
theior lifetimes.

Mosat great art is considered great because it shows two things togther
- a design that speaks to all of us, and a degree of craftsmanship hat
allows the message to become clear.

I would maintain that art that speaks only to a minority, or indeed only
to a single person - the artist himself - and is not exexcuted with any
degree of craftmanship, will not become great - and indeed anyone who
finds they have a paid a fortune for a shed full of it, might well be
tempted to torch it in a falling mareket.

Peter

Grimly Curmudgeon May 29th 04 11:23 PM

Some good news and some bad news

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher"
saying something like:

The comments I've read so far say more about the commentators than about the
art.

You can't deny most of it was pretentious nonsense, though.

Grimly Curmudgeon May 29th 04 11:33 PM

Some good news and some bad news

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

I would maintain that art that speaks only to a minority, or indeed only
to a single person - the artist himself - and is not exexcuted with any
degree of craftmanship, will not become great - and indeed anyone who
finds they have a paid a fortune for a shed full of it, might well be
tempted to torch it in a falling mareket.

DING!

The man wins a coconut.

"An insurance job", was my first thought on seeing the footage of the
aftermath of the blaze.

No, tell a lie, my first thought was something along the lines of "I
hope they got it all".

Grimly Curmudgeon May 29th 04 11:36 PM

OT Some good news and some bad news

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember Nick Brooks
saying something like:

snip

The Saatchi gallery, which has already expressed an interest in Emin's
latest work and was described by Mr Massow as "anally retentive" refused
to comment except to say that Mr Massow wouldn't understand contempory
art if he stepped in it whilst walking in the park. The gallery later
retracted the statement after realising that "A Stepped In Squishy Dog
**** And Used Condom" would also form part of Miss Emin's latest exhibition.

LOL! Excellent.

geoff May 30th 04 02:16 AM

Some good news and some bad news

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher"
saying something like:

The comments I've read so far say more about the commentators than about the
art.

You can't deny most of it was pretentious nonsense, though.

And a significant proportion of the public have now woken up to the fact

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher May 30th 04 10:38 AM

Some good news and some bad news

geoff wrote:

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mary Fisher"
saying something like:

The comments I've read so far say more about the commentators than
about the
art.

You can't deny most of it was pretentious nonsense, though.

And a significant proportion of the public have now woken up to the fact

I think the problem I have is that its art about art.

E.g. as soon as a bunch of people go to listen to the latest load of
rock crystals being struck with spanners and rave about it, someone else
invites them to attend a 15 minute silence...and rave about it as well..

It has its place, but not in the real world of ordinary humans.

SWMBO was watching (as she is actually a qualified art student, or
whatever they are when they have studied all that ********) a program on
this stiff and invited me to comment on a picture.

I looked at it and off the top of my head, gave the nearest thing to an
accurate reaction "Looks like someone with a terminal hangover, an
unsatisfied libido, and a foul temper, expressing himself in a fairly
childish way"...after a pregnant pause she admitted "yes, that is pretty
close to the character of the artist at any rate" :-)

Now I am rather fond of Tracy Emin it has to be said. She reminds me of
our pet Labrador. Our house gets covered in his little 'art objects'
that fully express his nature, and each week we clear up the bits of
chewed stick and bone shards carefully deposited in odd corners. But I
wouldn't have the nerve to submit it for the Turner prize. "Its a Dogs
Life" by Louis the Labrador.

Mind you, If I WAS Emin, and signed it 'Tracy' it would probably win...

tersono May 30th 04 11:02 AM

Some good news and some bad news

On Sun, 30 May 2004 10:38:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
snip

Now I am rather fond of Tracy Emin it has to be said. She reminds me of
our pet Labrador. Our house gets covered in his little 'art objects'
that fully express his nature, and each week we clear up the bits of
chewed stick and bone shards carefully deposited in odd corners. But I
wouldn't have the nerve to submit it for the Turner prize. "Its a Dogs
Life" by Louis the Labrador.

Mind you, If I WAS Emin, and signed it 'Tracy' it would probably win...

(We had a labrador called Louis. Odd coincidence.)

It's said that Picasso went to the local carpenter and said "Can you
make me a wardrobe like this?" and gave him a sketch of what he
wanted.

"Yes, certainly", said the carpenter.

"How much?"

"Oh, I'll do it for free... if you sign the sketch."

--
Citroen C3. It's French! It's fuel-efficient!
What have *you* done to irritate Dubya today?

geoff June 3rd 04 07:09 PM

Some good news and some bad news

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:35:26 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Owain
writes
"geoff" wrote
| Go for it gel, say what you think (as usual) ... a heap of elephant dung
| is also a pile of ****

arty But it's how it's arranged, and the concept behind it, that matters.
/arty

Besides, the elephant didn't apply for an arts council grant.

Even if they had, it would have been truncated

tusk, tusk.....

Fleetwood Mac

--
geoff

geoff June 3rd 04 07:15 PM

Some good news and some bad news

In message , Peter Taylor
writes

Err .. I'll pass on that one, despite the fact that I accidentally
missed it on the radio a couple of months ago

Oh NO!! Did you miss it? That was the best performance I never heard!
I've got
it on tape somewhere if you'd like to not hear it.

S'OK, I bought some blank cassettes today - I have it 207 times over

OK, it's time for me to go to "My Bed" and think of "All the people I
ever slept
with". On second thoughts no, the thought of Tracey Emin puts you off
don't it?
G'night. :o)

"OK kids, of you don't go to sleep T E will be round to tuck you in ..."
--
geoff