DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   removing moss (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/89726-removing-moss.html)

Craig February 4th 05 04:02 PM

removing moss

I'm looking for something that can get rid of moss from slabs/small stones
etc from the back garden. At the moment it's like a building site, and there
are no plants or grass that can be killed by chemicals.
I will use a pressure washer where I can but looking for something that can
be poured over large areas.
I once heard that dishwasher powder does this, anybody heard of this?

mark b February 4th 05 07:13 PM

"Craig" wrote in message
I'm looking for something that can get rid of moss from slabs/small stones
etc from the back garden. At the moment it's like a building site, and
there are no plants or grass that can be killed by chemicals.
I will use a pressure washer where I can but looking for something that
can be poured over large areas.
I once heard that dishwasher powder does this, anybody heard of this?

Lawn sand or moss-killer from a garden centre maybe?

mark b

Nick February 4th 05 08:58 PM

"Craig" wrote in message
I'm looking for something that can get rid of moss from slabs/small

stones
etc from the back garden. At the moment it's like a building site, and

there
are no plants or grass that can be killed by chemicals.
I will use a pressure washer where I can but looking for something that

can
be poured over large areas.
I once heard that dishwasher powder does this, anybody heard of this?

You might try posting to uk.rec.gardening. Very knowledgeable folk there
and generally quite friendly.
HTH
ps. I wouldn't mention the dishwasher powder!

Craig February 4th 05 09:49 PM

"Nick" wrote in message

"Craig" wrote in message
I'm looking for something that can get rid of moss from slabs/small

stones
etc from the back garden. At the moment it's like a building site, and

there
are no plants or grass that can be killed by chemicals.
I will use a pressure washer where I can but looking for something that

can
be poured over large areas.
I once heard that dishwasher powder does this, anybody heard of this?

You might try posting to uk.rec.gardening. Very knowledgeable folk there
and generally quite friendly.
HTH
ps. I wouldn't mention the dishwasher powder!

Thanks, I actually did feel like a bit of a prat as I was writing it:-)

keng February 4th 05 10:26 PM

Jeyes Fluid or bleach solution

The Natural Philosopher February 5th 05 12:47 AM

keng wrote:

Jeyes Fluid or bleach solution

Brick acid and a pressure washer.

Paul Mc Cann February 5th 05 11:16 AM

In article . com,
says...
Jeyes Fluid or bleach solution

We have severe problems with moss on tarmacadam drive this year. Last
week I tried an experiment. Jeyse Fluid 125ml in 5L as recommended and
applied from a watering can. Then a 20% solution (Not 10% as I tried
before), of Tesco's finest household bleach, applied in a smiliar
fashion.

Both killed the moss but I think the bleach was more effective. It
appears to have killed a wider swathe than the Jeyes Fluid.

In both cases the dead moss will have to be brushed or power washed
away.

On the above basis I will today try the 20% bleach solution in a
pressure spray as I find applying from a watering can to be very
wasteful. ( I had previously tried the same strength Jeyes Fluid but 10%
bleach solution in a pressure sprayer but it was not very effective.)The
10L of mix should go considerably further, cutting down on not only the
cost but the time taken to mix and fill.

This time next week should tell the full story.

Incidentally, whilst I don't mind the small of Jeyes Fluid SWMBO detests
it. Depending on ones attitude this could be a plus or a minus point for
it ;-)

--
Paul Mc Cann