Andy W

Default Cladding for gable-end, uPVC or wood?

I have moved into a house which has a rather unusual design, it has a
gable end which is clad in lead flashing.
Over the years the lead has discoloured and become wrinkled. I would
like to clad instead with dark wood or uPVC.

My question is this: quite a few recently built houses have gables
clad with dark tongued and groove material. Is this generally wood or
uPVC?

Is dark woodgrain uPVC a bad idea re. discolouration, expansion etc?
Is hardwood a better idea? This is a South facing roof, plenty of sun.

Thanks

Andy
Owain

"Andy W" wrote
| Is dark woodgrain uPVC a bad idea re. discolouration, expansion etc?
| Is hardwood a better idea? This is a South facing roof, plenty of sun.

If suitable (aesthetically and technically) for the situation, my preference
for a wall cladding would be tiles.

Owain

G&M

"Andy W" wrote in message
I have moved into a house which has a rather unusual design, it has a
gable end which is clad in lead flashing.
Over the years the lead has discoloured and become wrinkled. I would
like to clad instead with dark wood or uPVC.

My question is this: quite a few recently built houses have gables
clad with dark tongued and groove material. Is this generally wood or
uPVC?

Is dark woodgrain uPVC a bad idea re. discolouration, expansion etc?

uPVC for visible attributes is a bad idea full stop. And when pretending to
be wood doubly so.

Is hardwood a better idea?

Yes.

This is a South facing roof, plenty of sun.

Use a good woodstain.

Downlights in UPVC Cladding. Kevin UK diy 10 March 31st 04 03:20 PM
What Freemasons would like us to believe........ Henry E Schaffer UK diy 2 February 24th 04 12:06 AM
Fixing UPVC Cladding andy UK diy 5 September 14th 03 10:40 PM
Wood or uPVC front door Lee Blaver UK diy 7 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 07:44 PM