DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drywall adhesive doesn't...... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/888-drywall-adhesive-doesnt.html)

froggers August 5th 03 09:15 AM

Drywall adhesive doesn't......

Well, not very well it seems, I have tried dampening the walls, keying in
and two differing makes / batches but the result
is still the same - I leave for a few days and the bonding is very weak - a
fingertip touch and it comes unstuck.
Have tried priming with 1:5 PVA but even worse, so wondering if its just too
warm to do this at the moment ?
(which I can't believe)

Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks,

Nick

stuart noble August 5th 03 12:20 PM

Drywall adhesive doesn't......

froggers wrote in message ...
Well, not very well it seems, I have tried dampening the walls, keying in
and two differing makes / batches but the result
is still the same - I leave for a few days and the bonding is very weak - a
fingertip touch and it comes unstuck.
Have tried priming with 1:5 PVA but even worse, so wondering if its just

too
warm to do this at the moment ?
(which I can't believe)

Anyone any ideas ?

The initial bond is suction, which should be greater when the surface is
sealed and the dabs are big and sloppy. I always think of sticking a licence
plate on the windscreen when trying to fathom the mysteries of adhesion.
What you can't do is fiddle about adjusting it because more than a couple of
mm movement breaks the suction. Slap it up and leave it would be my advice.
If you have to move it, re-mix the plaster.

Niel A. Farrow August 5th 03 11:16 PM

Drywall adhesive doesn't......

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

froggers wrote in message ...
Well, not very well it seems, I have tried dampening the walls, keying in
and two differing makes / batches but the result
is still the same - I leave for a few days and the bonding is very weak - a
fingertip touch and it comes unstuck.
Have tried priming with 1:5 PVA but even worse, so wondering if its just

too
warm to do this at the moment ?
(which I can't believe)

Anyone any ideas ?

The initial bond is suction, which should be greater when the surface is
sealed and the dabs are big and sloppy. I always think of sticking a licence
plate on the windscreen when trying to fathom the mysteries of adhesion.
What you can't do is fiddle about adjusting it because more than a couple of
mm movement breaks the suction. Slap it up and leave it would be my advice.
If you have to move it, re-mix the plaster.

Are you using plasterboard adhesive? It has a horrible smell.
Neil

froggers August 7th 03 11:12 PM

Drywall adhesive doesn't......

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies - I think I've cracked it - the mix was a bit too dry
and the walls unusually
absorbent (adsorbent?) - I made it as sloppy as I could without dropping
off, gave it a good slapping
and fingers are crossed whilst it sets and cures (?)

Nick