DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Advice any combi or Vaillant Combi 828plus in loft? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/88310-advice-any-combi-vaillant-combi-828plus-loft.html)

elad January 26th 05 11:57 AM

Advice any combi or Vaillant Combi 828plus in loft?

I am about to get my old potterton boiler replaced for a new combi boiler.

The old boiler is in the kitchen and I was thinking of placing the new combi in the loft.

I quite like the performace of the vaillant 828plus because we had this in an old house and it performed with no problems.

Any problems with this boiler situated in the loft for draining etc?

Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk January 26th 05 04:52 PM

elad wrote:

Any problems with this boiler situated in the loft for draining etc?

Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

Out of interest, as this has been mentioned before, would there not be a
severe risk of cold damage (freezing pipes etc)?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

IMM January 26th 05 04:56 PM

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk" wrote in message
.. .
elad wrote:

Any problems with this boiler situated in the loft for draining etc?

Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

Out of interest, as this has been mentioned before, would there not be a
severe risk of cold damage (freezing pipes etc)?

Insulate all pipes, as you are supposed anyway. If the boiler does not have
integrated frost protection, then fit a frost stat and pipe pipe frost
[protection, setup/ It would put the boiler in an MDF/ply large cupboard
with insulation around it. Easy to do in a loft.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

andrewpreece January 26th 05 05:56 PM

elad wrote:

Any problems with this boiler situated in the loft for draining etc?

Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

Out of interest, as this has been mentioned before, would there not be a
severe risk of cold damage (freezing pipes etc)?

Insulate all pipes, as you are supposed anyway. If the boiler does not

have
integrated frost protection, then fit a frost stat and pipe pipe frost
[protection, setup/ It would put the boiler in an MDF/ply large cupboard
with insulation around it. Easy to do in a loft.

The Turbomax 828 has frost protection.

Andy.

Paul Barker January 26th 05 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elad
I am about to get my old potterton boiler replaced for a new combi boiler.

The old boiler is in the kitchen and I was thinking of placing the new combi in the loft.

I quite like the performace of the vaillant 828plus because we had this in an old house and it performed with no problems.

Any problems with this boiler situated in the loft for draining etc?

Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

We fit them in lofts quite a lot. A good make like Vaillant shouldn't be too much risk in that. It does become a problem with cheap boilers that inexplicably go into lockout, customer gets very tired of pulling out the loft ladder to press the reset 3 times a weak.

I would also recommend that you have a pressure guage and filling loop fitted somewhere in the main house like a kitchen cupboard, old airing cupboard, somewhere like that, so you can keep an eye on pressure and top up without going up into the loft.

Paul

Christian McArdle January 27th 05 11:58 AM

Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

Not a combi, but a condensing system boiler and a heat bank. No problems
whatsoever.

However, my loft was already eminently suitable for several reasons.

1. Already boarded (compulsory)
2. Already had light (compulsory?)
3. Already had loft ladder (compulsory)
4. Insulation in rafters so warm loft (v. useful)

You are not allowed to just stick it in a dark unboarded loft, as it is
considered too dangerous to service.

Christian.

Paul Barker January 27th 05 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian McArdle
Anybody got any other combi boilers in a loft with no problems?

Not a combi, but a condensing system boiler and a heat bank. No problems
whatsoever.

However, my loft was already eminently suitable for several reasons.

1. Already boarded (compulsory)
2. Already had light (compulsory?)
3. Already had loft ladder (compulsory)
4. Insulation in rafters so warm loft (v. useful)

You are not allowed to just stick it in a dark unboarded loft, as it is
considered too dangerous to service.

Christian.

Yes a light is compulsory for a gas boiler. Don't know what the oil people require I don't do oil it's too messy, you need a duplicate set of tools, and there's too much work about anyway.