DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   old calor bottle (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/88240-re-old-calor-bottle.html)

:::Jerry:::: January 25th 05 10:10 PM

old calor bottle

wrote in message
I am junking out a barn prior to demolition, I have come across a
fullish calor bottle about the 19kg size but it has the old female
******* thread. Are these things likely to be collected by museums?
Any views as to how to make use of the propane? It's a dull
gray/khaki.

At one time it was possible to buy converters, not sure about nowadays, how
about asking at an *long established* caravan dealer / repairer ?

Roger January 25th 05 10:48 PM

The message
from contains these words:

I am junking out a barn prior to demolition, I have come across a
fullish calor bottle about the 19kg size but it has the old female
******* thread. Are these things likely to be collected by museums?
Any views as to how to make use of the propane? It's a dull
gray/khaki.

If it is grey I think you will find that that Propane might be Butane. :-)

The blue colour for butane containers is relatively recent but I am not
old enough to remember Calor Gas with female threads. Grey and male
lefthand threads were around on the standard size bottles in the 50s
through to at least the 70s and the lh thread is still in use on the
small (12lb empty) containers.

--
Roger

Andy Dingley January 26th 05 12:06 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:41:46 +0000, wrote:

I am junking out a barn prior to demolition, I have come across a
fullish calor bottle about the 19kg size but it has the old female
******* thread.

Male or female ? If it's a female thread on the bottle, then that's
still in common service.

If it's a male thread on the bottle (sounds right for a khaki boittle)
then it's still useful. Many (if not most) older appliances in
service can use them. The quick-connect fitting on the hose has this
thread on the other end of it because it was supplied as a converter.
Just unscrew the quick-connect and put the hose directly onto the
bottle. There's a rubber seal washer in there too - don't lose it.

Are these things likely to be collected by museums?

No, not by Calor either. I tried to get one refilled a while back,
because I have a useful camping-stove-style burner that needs them.
They were _very_ sniffy about it. So it's in my pile of empties now
and will probably turn into a woodstove, or a teapot or something.

Any views as to how to make use of the propane? It's a dull
gray/khaki.

That's butane.
--
Smert' spamionam

tarquinlinbin January 26th 05 09:01 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:41:46 +0000, wrote:

I am junking out a barn prior to demolition, I have come across a
fullish calor bottle about the 19kg size but it has the old female
******* thread. Are these things likely to be collected by museums?
Any views as to how to make use of the propane? It's a dull
gray/khaki.

AJH

Slightly OT but the curious thing with LPG bottles is that dealers
wont accept or trade other peoples bottles hence the reason why they
get abandoned left right and centre,on wasteland and tips. Seems like
they should stndardise and have a mutual agreement..

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUMECONFORMOBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

[email protected] January 26th 05 11:49 AM

tarquinlinbin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:41:46 +0000, wrote:

I am junking out a barn prior to demolition, I have come across a
fullish calor bottle about the 19kg size but it has the old female
******* thread. Are these things likely to be collected by museums?
Any views as to how to make use of the propane? It's a dull
gray/khaki.

AJH

Slightly OT but the curious thing with LPG bottles is that dealers
wont accept or trade other peoples bottles hence the reason why they
get abandoned left right and centre,on wasteland and tips. Seems like

A local dealer almost refused to sell me a new bottle for a new camping
stove and insisted I should go down the tip and buy one for a fiver
which he would then take in and sell me a "refill". He took some
persuading as to the urgency of my need.

MBQ

Andy Dingley January 26th 05 12:05 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:01:12 +0000, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

Slightly OT but the curious thing with LPG bottles is that dealers
wont accept or trade other peoples bottles

Not as bad as it was. Seems there have been a lot of mergers in the
LPG trade of late. Now the cylinders are "Calor", "The Other Lot" and
very few that fall in between. So long as you match Calor & non-Calor,
they seem much more helpful than they used to be.

Friend of mine recently cleared a gypsy traveller site and picked up
two vanloads of cylinders. He shifted all except a handful of khaki
ones.
--
Smert' spamionam

Roger January 26th 05 01:11 PM

The message
from contains these words:

Wrong cause for the effect, the abandoned ones are those that have
been stolen from work sites whilst full and then dumped when empty,
the thieves don't have a policy for refilling.

Not necessarily. Calor policy is you only get your deposit back if you
can produce the original receipt. Hence it makes sense not to let Calor
have their bottles back at all if you can't.

--
Roger

Andy Dingley January 26th 05 02:17 PM

On 26 Jan 2005 12:28:10 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Flogas?

That's the one

quisquiliae January 26th 05 11:52 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 26 Jan 2005 12:28:10 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Flogas?

That's the one

Flow gas? Flog as?

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Andy Dingley January 27th 05 01:23 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:23:59 +0000, wrote:

Our local civic amenities site (aka tip) has a cage for them, I wonder
if they give them back or sell them as scrap iron?

Ours sells them - £2.50 a cylinder; your pick of size and some of them
are still half-full