PhilÅ

Default Masking tape and silicone

Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Cheers

chris French

In message , PhilÅ
writes
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

I'd remove it straight away.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Mathew J. Newton

Phil=C5 wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Cheers

I do it straight away; the tape takes away the excess leaving behind a
nice neat edge.

If left to cure the silicone is likely to remain 'as one' thus negating
the purpose of you using the tape for a straight edge. Indeed if the
silicone hasn't firmly attached itself to the tape then it'll likely
leave a flappy edge at best.

Mathew

Tim Mitchell

In article , PhilÅ
writes
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

No time at all. Whip it off as soon as you have smoothed it out with
your finger or whatever.
--
Tim Mitchell
Ian White

PhilÅ wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

Smooth the silicone right down to the edge of the masking tape. Where
the edge of the silicone bead meets the edge of the tape, the silicone
should be no thicker than the tape itself.

Then peel off the tape immediately, pulling it away from the silicone.
That leaves a nice feather edge on the bead.

If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

Simon Stroud

"Ian White" wrote in message
PhilÅ wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

Smooth the silicone right down to the edge of the masking tape. Where
the edge of the silicone bead meets the edge of the tape, the silicone
should be no thicker than the tape itself.

Then peel off the tape immediately, pulling it away from the silicone.
That leaves a nice feather edge on the bead.

If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

I've found that during this final finger-wiping stage (after removing the
tape as quickly as possible after squirting and smoothing the silicone), a
good wetting (plus a dash of fairy liquid) of the finger makes all the
difference.

Good luck!

Simon.

Ian Stirling

Simon Stroud wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message
Phil? wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

Smooth the silicone right down to the edge of the masking tape. Where
the edge of the silicone bead meets the edge of the tape, the silicone
should be no thicker than the tape itself.

Then peel off the tape immediately, pulling it away from the silicone.
That leaves a nice feather edge on the bead.

If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

snip
I've found that during this final finger-wiping stage (after removing the
tape as quickly as possible after squirting and smoothing the silicone), a
good wetting (plus a dash of fairy liquid) of the finger makes all the
difference.

The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable practice.

Ian White

Ian Stirling wrote:
Simon Stroud wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

[...]
If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

I've found that during this final finger-wiping stage (after removing the
tape as quickly as possible after squirting and smoothing the silicone), a
good wetting (plus a dash of fairy liquid) of the finger makes all the
difference.

Just to be clear: remove the tape soon, but pull it off slowly and
gently.

The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable practice.

With 50% washing-up liquid? I won't do *that*.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable

practice.

Lol. Was it food safe while it was still uncured though?

NT

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable

practice.

Lol. Was it food safe while it was still uncured though?

NT

Sorry - sure this HAS been answered before - but I'm about to seal my plastic bath to a tiled wall (3 edges).......how wide should the gap be for the sealant?? ie - how wide should the gap be between the two pieces of masking tape....and finally - should the gap be equidistant between the wall and the bath - hope I'm amking vague sense!!!
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbartman
Sorry - sure this HAS been answered before - but I'm about to seal my plastic bath to a tiled wall (3 edges).......how wide should the gap be for the sealant?? ie - how wide should the gap be between the two pieces of masking tape....and finally - should the gap be equidistant between the wall and the bath - hope I'm amking vague sense!!!

Can anyone help me with the width issue???????????!!!!!!!!

The food safety issue is no doubt an important one as I will now use my tongue to smotth...but need to know how wide the gap between the masking taped edges need to be!!

ta
Tim Mitchell

In article , alexbartman
writes

alexbartman Wrote:
Sorry - sure this HAS been answered before - but I'm about to seal my
plastic bath to a tiled wall (3 edges).......how wide should the gap

be
for the sealant?? ie - how wide should the gap be between the two
pieces of masking tape....and finally - should the gap be equidistant
between the wall and the bath - hope I'm amking vague sense!!!

Can anyone help me with the width issue???????????!!!!!!!!

In my opinion (and no doubt others will disagree) you need about 3mm of
sealant on the bath and about 3mm on the tiles for good adhesion. Maybe
a bit less.

The food safety issue is no doubt an important one as I will now use my
tongue to smotth...but need to know how wide the gap between the

Can you post pictures of you doing this please? I'm sure we'd all like
to see it.
--
Tim Mitchell
Ian White

alexbartman wrote:

Can anyone help me with the width issue???????????!!!!!!!!

The food safety issue is no doubt an important one as I will now use my
tongue to smotth...but need to know how wide the gap between the
masking taped edges need to be!!

It's very much easier than you seem to think, or fear.

You've seen hundreds of silicone beads, both good and bad. Make yours
about the same width as the good ones - it really is about that simple.

If it looks right, and feels right when smoothed down using the body
part of your choice, then it probably *is* right.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England