DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8695-mains-powered-smoke-detector-alarm-accept-loop.html)

Z May 16th 04 12:20 AM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

I was looking for a mains powered smoke detector with a loop facility
for an alarm accept switch.
The alarm accept switch is to be a non latching switch.
Don't want to annoy the neighbours when the toast is burnt.
Remove all Zeds in e-mail address to reply.

BigWallop May 16th 04 12:14 PM

"Z" wrote in message
I was looking for a mains powered smoke detector with a loop facility
for an alarm accept switch.
The alarm accept switch is to be a non latching switch.
Don't want to annoy the neighbours when the toast is burnt.

Does it really have to be mains powered ? If you have an existing intruder alarm
system there should a zone on it that will accept a smoke detector. This will also
give a distinctive sounder alarm from the intruder side of the alarm. Another
advantage is that the system will also have a battery back up.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Owain May 16th 04 01:59 PM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

"Z" wrote
| I was looking for a mains powered smoke detector with a loop
| facility for an alarm accept switch.
| The alarm accept switch is to be a non latching switch.
| Don't want to annoy the neighbours when the toast is burnt.

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'alarm accept' switch but The EI range
sold by TLC have a ""Hush" feature for false alarm control by way of a
separate hush button. Quietens unwanted alarms for up to 8 minutes and
bleeps every 40 seconds to warn that alarm is in hush mode. Automatically
resets."

Ionisation, optical and heat variants, up to 36 units interconnectable

Owain

Z May 16th 04 04:12 PM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

In article , BigWallop
writes

"Z" wrote in message
I was looking for a mains powered smoke detector with a loop facility
for an alarm accept switch.
The alarm accept switch is to be a non latching switch.
Don't want to annoy the neighbours when the toast is burnt.

Does it really have to be mains powered ?

If it's not integrated to intruder system, yes.

If you have an existing intruder alarm
system there should a zone on it that will accept a smoke detector.
This will also
give a distinctive sounder alarm from the intruder side of the alarm.

You mean it will set off the outside alarm or the internal alarm?

Another
advantage is that the system will also have a battery back up.

I have an Everest intruder alarm system which I believe is based on a
Bosch.
Wouldn't the system have to be armed?

---

BigWallop May 16th 04 06:04 PM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

"Z" wrote in message
In article , BigWallop
writes

"Z" wrote in message
I was looking for a mains powered smoke detector with a loop facility
for an alarm accept switch.
The alarm accept switch is to be a non latching switch.
Don't want to annoy the neighbours when the toast is burnt.

Does it really have to be mains powered ?

If it's not integrated to intruder system, yes.

If you have an existing intruder alarm
system there should a zone on it that will accept a smoke detector.
This will also
give a distinctive sounder alarm from the intruder side of the alarm.

You mean it will set off the outside alarm or the internal alarm?

Another
advantage is that the system will also have a battery back up.

I have an Everest intruder alarm system which I believe is based on a
Bosch.
Wouldn't the system have to be armed?

An intruder alarm with fire zone capability works like the tamper circuit. The zone
is continuous for this specific purpose. It will only sound internally unless it has
the option to sound all bells.

Christian McArdle May 17th 04 10:07 AM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

I was looking for a mains powered smoke detector with a loop facility
for an alarm accept switch.

I have a fairly standard wired intruder alarm with fire zoning capability. I
have this wired to mains smoke detectors. I have 2 ionisation types, 1
optical and a heat detector for the kitchen. I have never had a false alarm.
Not once.

The devices are Kidde Slick, which look modern and are round (no careful
alignment like square ones!). They are available in Alkaline backup,
rechargable backup and no backup (don't use those). There is a surface
mounted base with relay, which I wired up to an intruder alarm zone
configured for 24h fire. This will be configured to ring the external
sounder with a distinctive tone when I get round to installing the bell box.
I didn't actually use the surface mounted base that comes with the relay, as
I didn't want the things protruding so much from the ceiling. I detached the
electronics from the base and installed them in a standard surface mount
plastic box next to the intruder alarm along with a switch to turn off the
interconnect for testing. All mains supplies for alarm systems are from a
dedicated way on the consumer unit. IIRC, there was some sort of jumper
setting for latching operation on the relay board.

Don't want to annoy the neighbours when the toast is burnt.

Indeed, this very morning the system went off with burnt toast. But then, it
had been on fire and subsequently filled the house with dense smoke. The
toaster had got jammed down. I still can't believe they design toasters so
that in the event of a jam (extremely common occurance) they set themselves
on fire (extremely serious consequences).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KDSMK23R.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...3slash9HI.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...3slash9HI.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...3slash9HI.html

Christian.

Gel May 17th 04 09:21 PM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

You could use the Kidde Relay patress with Relay on the TLC site;
works with their Slick smoke/heat alarms by sending a volt free
signal when triggered.
This is for signalling 3rd party devices, such as door
closers/strobes/warden call systems/alarm panels etc

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KDSMK23R.html

"Z" wrote

Pete C May 17th 04 10:56 PM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:07:26 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Indeed, this very morning the system went off with burnt toast. But then, it
had been on fire and subsequently filled the house with dense smoke. The
toaster had got jammed down. I still can't believe they design toasters so
that in the event of a jam (extremely common occurance) they set themselves
on fire (extremely serious consequences).

Hi,

Seems like a case of bad toaster design like mine, there needs to be
an extra sprung lever holding the main lever down, so it's switched
off positively when the toast is ready.

Still, a cheap Screwfix optical smoke alarm fixed with blue tack works
well in such situations ;)

cheers,
Pete.

Ian Stirling May 20th 04 02:45 AM

Mains powered smoke detector with alarm accept loop.

Christian McArdle wrote:
snip
Indeed, this very morning the system went off with burnt toast. But then, it
had been on fire and subsequently filled the house with dense smoke. The
toaster had got jammed down. I still can't believe they design toasters so
that in the event of a jam (extremely common occurance) they set themselves
on fire (extremely serious consequences).

You'r looking at it wrong.
If your house burns down, you'll need to buy a new toaster.