Chris

Default Visco-elastic (memory foam) for armchairs

I have just bought a mattress made of visco-elastic memory foam - and it
is extremely comfortable - because it spreads the load well.

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good?
Particularly for people with back pain.

Does anyone make them already?
If not, could I make some?
Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.
--
Chris
Lobster

Chris wrote:
I have just bought a mattress made of visco-elastic memory foam - and it
is extremely comfortable - because it spreads the load well.

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good?
Particularly for people with back pain.

Does anyone make them already?
If not, could I make some?
Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.

Dunno, but you can buy sheets of the stuff intended to lay on top of
normal mattress, as the cheapskate route to buying the full
visco-elastic mattress (and I gather it doesn't work!). Might be worth
exploring? Don't know where you buy it I'm afraid.

David

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:31:21 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good?

Depends on your armchair. You need more support under visco-elastic
foam, so you should either build with visco foam in mind and maybe a
plywood strip seat, or you should use a 2" overlay over CMHR50 (hard
chipfoam). Thinner overlays aren't much use, as you sink straight
through them. Many people with back problems carry a 3" cushion slab
around with them, as an overlay for restaurant chairs etc.

There are many on-line suppliers of foam cut to size, but shipping
isn't cheap so consider looking locally first. Some names were posted
a few days ago. Disability suppliers are _very_ expensive for visco
foam.

PU foam is roughly £10 / seat. latex is twice this, visco is four
times it. Poor quality PU is half that.
--
Smert' spamionam

I bought a truesleeper mattress topper - only 2"(ish) thick but is one
of the best things I've ever done. I think it was about 120 quid for a
kingsize mattress. I too wondered about cutting one up for use on
chairs etc & I think it would be an excellent idea.

Baz

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I have just bought a mattress made of visco-elastic memory foam - and it is
extremely comfortable - because it spreads the load well.

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good?
Particularly for people with back pain.

Does anyone make them already?
If not, could I make some?
Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.
--
Chris

I bought a mattress Topper from vitafoam.co.uk
King size 50mm thick £42.00.
It is sooooooooooooo nice.
Baz

RealUK

I bought a mattress Topper from vitafoam.co.uk
King size 50mm thick =A342.00.
It is sooooooooooooo nice.
Baz

Which is the same as 2" in "British"

Old Bill

RealUK wrote:
I bought a mattress Topper from vitafoam.co.uk
King size 50mm thick £42.00.
It is sooooooooooooo nice.
Baz

Which is the same as 2" in "British"

Interesting link, but i can't see how you can actually buy anything from
that website. list of stockists would be nice
Yekal

I supply all types of foam, and to produce a chair made up with memory foam
would probably not sell due to expense, what most people do is have a
thinner memory foam cushion made to put over existing seating. The biggest
problem now a days, we live in a throw away society and the majority of
people don`t appreciate quality, they would much rather go to Argos or DFS
or such like, so to produce quality furniture with quality materials they
need to be custom made as apposed to be mass produced.
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I have just bought a mattress made of visco-elastic memory foam - and it
is extremely comfortable - because it spreads the load well.

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good?
Particularly for people with back pain.

Does anyone make them already?
If not, could I make some?
Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.
--
Chris

Chris

Thanks - a cushion would probably be OK - certainly worth trying -
probably on top of an ordinary dining chair - e.g. for sitting at
computer.
How thick? Couple of inches?
What is your website - or any other source of supply?

In article , Yekal
writes
I supply all types of foam, and to produce a chair made up with memory foam
would probably not sell due to expense, what most people do is have a
thinner memory foam cushion made to put over existing seating. The biggest
problem now a days, we live in a throw away society and the majority of
people don`t appreciate quality, they would much rather go to Argos or DFS
or such like, so to produce quality furniture with quality materials they
need to be custom made as apposed to be mass produced.
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
I have just bought a mattress made of visco-elastic memory foam - and it
is extremely comfortable - because it spreads the load well.

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good?
Particularly for people with back pain.

Does anyone make them already?
If not, could I make some?
Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.
--
Chris

--
Chris
Yekal

Sorry I don`t have a web site, but if you want to e-mail me by removing no
spam with your sizes, 2inch is what most people use on dining chairs as a
pad, but it all comes down to personal taste, as soon as I get your sizes I
will work out prices and get back to you! and confirm it is memory foam you
require?.
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
[...]

]...