Richard

Default Sink waste through wall

I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core
drill available, what is the best technique?

BigWallop

"Richard" wrote in message
I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core
drill available, what is the best technique?

Depending on the diameter of the pipe you're using then a masonry drill with
hammer action pistol will make small holes in a circle which can then be
bashed out with a hammer and chisel.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Hall

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:52:15 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core
drill available, what is the best technique?

It depends on how much you want to spend and how often you expect to
be making holes in masonry.

One option is to go out and hire a core drill, although a bit
expensive.

You could buy an SDS drill, although to get one that is going to last
any length of time and be good to use, you need to spend about £100.

These will cut through solid brick very easily. You do need to be a
little careful because the action can tend to cause the brick on the
far side of the hole to break out. They are a good investment if
you value your time and don't like wielding club hammers and cold
chisels.

Alternatively.....

If you have a hammer drill you could buy a long bit for it of (say)
15-25mm diameter and long enough to go through the wall (the sheds
have them). Drill the hole and then enlarge using a club hammer and
cold chisel working from both sides.

Finally, you could just do the hammer and chisel approach.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

Richard wrote:

I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core
drill available, what is the best technique?

Hammer and cold chisel.

in2minds

"I need to get a sink waste pipe through a solid 9" wall, I have no core drill
available, what is the best technique?"
[..]

assuming it's a 9" wall with cavity, this is how I do it...

you need a hammer drill, a long 8 or 10mm masonry bit and a piece of the pipe you want
to go through the wall
drill one hole through to the outside, this would be the highest point of the hole you
need, at a slight downward angle.
now use the offcut as a template, place it at the bottom of the drill hole, and draw
around it so you have the circle marked out on either side of the wall
now drill holes around the circle through to the cavity from both sides then chisel the
rest out.

simple (c;

LJ

Strange marks on wall james Mc UK diy 2 August 2nd 03 12:29 AM
Bath and Basin waste. Troy UK diy 6 July 25th 03 08:41 PM
Building an internal wall - brick or stud? steve UK diy 6 July 24th 03 10:40 AM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 11th 03 12:18 AM
How high can a garden wall between two houses be? M. Farlow UK diy 9 July 5th 03 05:49 PM