DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Self-monitoring transformer??? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/85930-self-monitoring-transformer.html)

Lobster January 12th 05 12:48 PM

Self-monitoring transformer???

I'm about to order some transformers for LV downlighters. I note that
S'fix do a 'self-monitoring' model (52120) for about twice the price of
a standard one (48058). This function apparently allows me, the user,
"to determine the operating state". What on earth does that mean??!!
Worth having?

Thanks
David

ref 52120:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...12 0&ts=33800

ref 48058:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

Lee January 12th 05 01:14 PM

Lobster wrote:
What on earth does that mean??!!
Worth having?

Haven't a clue, but it's in a transparent case, so it probably just
means that it's got an Led on it grin :)

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

BigWallop January 12th 05 08:20 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm about to order some transformers for LV downlighters. I note that
S'fix do a 'self-monitoring' model (52120) for about twice the price of
a standard one (48058). This function apparently allows me, the user,
"to determine the operating state". What on earth does that mean??!!
Worth having?

Thanks
David

ref 52120:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...12 0&ts=33800

ref 48058:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

The Grant and Stone people are the ones who do Aurora lighting products in the
UK, so you might be able to see what this Self Monitoring thing does on their
site.
http://www.grantandstone.co.uk/light...a-lighting.htm

logized January 12th 05 08:27 PM

"Lee" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
What on earth does that mean??!! Worth having?

Haven't a clue, but it's in a transparent case, so it probably just means
that it's got an Led on it grin :)

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.

Yes - Led on = ok, off = it's broke (or you haven't switched it on :) ),
slow flash = short circuit and fast flash = transformer overload.
It's got a few other features like auto- cut-off and reset when overloaded -
see last item on this page - http://www.smaclite.co.uk/?page=2
The manufacturers site is terrible - http://www.aurora-lighting.com/ really
annoying music? etc. and no info on that product.

It's up to you if you think the "features" are worth paying for.

Dave

Lurch January 12th 05 09:20 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:48:00 GMT, Lobster
strung together this:

Worth having?

I've seen these in CEF, the LED flashes to alert the different fault
states. AFAIK that's about it, I don't think it 'does' anything extra.

The only advantage I can see is that if you take the fitting out and
remove the transformer daily then you can see if it is working or not.
IOW, pointless. You can get some decent Osram LV transformers for the
same price.
--

SJW