DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steel frame partitioning (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/85597-steel-frame-partitioning.html)

Quigs January 10th 05 03:49 PM

Steel frame partitioning

Just seen the steel frame partition on the screwfix site -
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...22034&ts=71784 and it
got me thinking.

I'm fed up of standard wood stud walls, as they are so material and
time intensive, however the steel wall idea looks interesting, and I
know that they do it a lot more on the continent.

Has anybody got any views on this here?

Does anybody know who else might supply a steel wall system other than
screwfix?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary Quigley
See my build at http://www.wilcotclose.co.uk

BigWallop January 10th 05 05:10 PM

"Quigs" wrote in message
m...
Just seen the steel frame partition on the screwfix site -
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...22034&ts=71784 and it
got me thinking.

I'm fed up of standard wood stud walls, as they are so material and
time intensive, however the steel wall idea looks interesting, and I
know that they do it a lot more on the continent.

Has anybody got any views on this here?

Does anybody know who else might supply a steel wall system other than
screwfix?

Gary Quigley

They are more common here as well. They've taken over from the old timber stud
systems many years ago, but they still can't be used as supporting structures
the same as timber ones.

Lurch January 10th 05 06:19 PM

On 10 Jan 2005 07:49:44 -0800, (Quigs) strung
together this:

Has anybody got any views on this here?

They're just as good as a timber stud wall from the experience I've
had with them, which isn't much. I've seen them appearing on quite a
few larger building projects that I've been on, and in one or two
domestics too.

Does anybody know who else might supply a steel wall system other than
screwfix?

Builders merchants would be a good start.
--

SJW

Ian Middleton January 11th 05 09:57 AM

"Quigs" wrote in message
m...
Just seen the steel frame partition on the screwfix site -
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...22034&ts=71784 and it
got me thinking.

I'm fed up of standard wood stud walls, as they are so material and
time intensive, however the steel wall idea looks interesting, and I
know that they do it a lot more on the continent.

Has anybody got any views on this here?

Does anybody know who else might supply a steel wall system other than
screwfix?

Our house built in 2000 has all the partition walls built with this steel
studding. Easy to locate using a detector, to screw shelves and other
fixings in to, using hollow wall anchors. Also have holes in so easy (well
easier than wood) to run cables along if moving/adding sockets/switches.

When I opened up the space under the stairs, for an extra cupboard, just cut
through using an angle grinder.