Richard

Default Cord operated intermediate switch

I would like to replace the intermediate switch in the lighting circuit
in my attic study. At present it's an ordinary box mounted-on-the-wall
unit inconveniently mounted out of reach. What I want is a cord
operated pull switch mounted in the ceiling. I have never seen one of
these in any wiring catalogues. Does anyone supply them?

If not has some enterprising soul worked out a circuit that will mimic
the operation of an intermediate switch, perhaps with suitable relays,
that can be controlled with an ordinary pull switch?

I used to work in a building where every fluorescent light unit was
equipped with a pull switch on the lamp. At 12 pm and 7 pm all the
lights were switch off centrally and a tug on the cord was required to
switch each one back on. Quiet neat but not relevant here!

TIA

Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
BigWallop

"Richard" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to replace the intermediate switch in the lighting circuit
in my attic study. At present it's an ordinary box mounted-on-the-wall
unit inconveniently mounted out of reach. What I want is a cord
operated pull switch mounted in the ceiling. I have never seen one of
these in any wiring catalogues. Does anyone supply them?

If not has some enterprising soul worked out a circuit that will mimic
the operation of an intermediate switch, perhaps with suitable relays,
that can be controlled with an ordinary pull switch?

I used to work in a building where every fluorescent light unit was
equipped with a pull switch on the lamp. At 12 pm and 7 pm all the
lights were switch off centrally and a tug on the cord was required to
switch each one back on. Quiet neat but not relevant here!

TIA

Richard

Couldn't you just fit a pull cord switch to control the light only, instead of
actually operating as a intermediate switching point.

The only other thing I can think of doing, is to re-configure the wiring to suit
a two way pull cord switch.

Bit it might still be an idea to try your local Leccy wholesaler to see if some
manufacturer has come up with the idea.

Lurch

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:35:04 +0000, Richard strung
together this:

I would like to replace the intermediate switch in the lighting circuit
in my attic study. At present it's an ordinary box mounted-on-the-wall
unit inconveniently mounted out of reach. What I want is a cord
operated pull switch mounted in the ceiling. I have never seen one of
these in any wiring catalogues. Does anyone supply them?

Not that I've ever seen.

If not has some enterprising soul worked out a circuit that will mimic
the operation of an intermediate switch, perhaps with suitable relays,
that can be controlled with an ordinary pull switch?

Relays, two SPCO with the coils wired in parallel switched from a 1
way pull switch.
Assuming the strappers are yellow and blue then connect;

The two yellows to relay a and b com.
The two blues to relay a and b NO.
Relay a NO to relay b NC.
Relay b NO to relay a NC
..
I used to work in a building where every fluorescent light unit was
equipped with a pull switch on the lamp. At 12 pm and 7 pm all the
lights were switch off centrally and a tug on the cord was required to
switch each one back on. Quiet neat but not relevant here!

That could be pricey! I'd forget that notion!
--

SJW
Harry Bloomfield

Richard expressed precisely :
I would like to replace the intermediate switch in the lighting circuit in my
attic study. At present it's an ordinary box mounted-on-the-wall unit
inconveniently mounted out of reach. What I want is a cord operated pull
switch mounted in the ceiling. I have never seen one of these in any wiring
catalogues. Does anyone supply them?

MK used to make one. Try a good electrical wholesalers and if they
don't have one get them to specially order one.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Richard

Lurch wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:35:04 +0000, Richard strung
together this:

Relays, two SPCO with the coils wired in parallel switched from a 1
way pull switch.
Assuming the strappers are yellow and blue then connect;

The two yellows to relay a and b com.
The two blues to relay a and b NO.
Relay a NO to relay b NC.
Relay b NO to relay a NC
.

Ta Lurch,

Simple when I stop thinking about latching or changeover relays with
mains coils and how to power them! I suppose however I could use a pair
of SPDT latching relays if I could find a momentary pull switch, thus
extending the life of any battery derived coil supply.

Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info

Stefek Zaba

Lurch wrote (after providing a neat relay-based solution):

I used to work in a building where every fluorescent light unit was
equipped with a pull switch on the lamp. At 12 pm and 7 pm all the
lights were switch off centrally and a tug on the cord was required to
switch each one back on. Quiet neat but not relevant here!

That could be pricey! I'd forget that notion!

Pricey, but not ludicrously so. Units like the Siemens Logo!, the
Mitsubishi Alpha, and their friends sell for about 60-70 notes (may be
cheaper on Ebay, haven't looked). They're baby programmable-logic
controllers, typically 4 independent outputs and 4 or 8 "digital" 240V
inputs. Internal logic gives you all the timed-delay, realtime clock,
ANDs/ORs/NOTs, and similar low-complexity automation control building
blocks you could want. With such a one you end up with momentary-action
press switches at each of your convenient control points, often
configured to have different control actions for a quick press versus a
press-and-hold.

More notes than the OP prolly wants to blow, but hours of harmless geeky
fun. (Such a setup controls the outdoor lighting chez nous, with outdoor
switches able to turn them on but not off, auto-off around 1 a.m.,
switchable indoor buzzer-repeater for the front and back PIRs, and the
like; and a similar module's in place at work for a flexible,
time-of-day/day-of-week-aware hardware access control to control the DC
power to the appliance firewall which allows external Internet access
for a visitor PC, complete with strobing blinkenlight and final-warning
buzzer to remind the dozy pillock using it that their hour of
connectivity-time is about to expire ;-)

Stefek
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard wrote:
If not has some enterprising soul worked out a circuit that will mimic
the operation of an intermediate switch, perhaps with suitable relays,
that can be controlled with an ordinary pull switch?

You'll need a DPDT relay with a 230volt coil. Easiest to obtain would be
an octal type from the likes of TLC or Maplin.

You strap NO the first pole to NC of the second. And NC of the first pole
to NO of the second.

The switch lines of the two way circuit (usually marked L1 & L2 on a two
way switch) go (in) to the C and (out) from NO and NO (Or NC and NC)

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lurch

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:06:43 +0000, Richard strung
together this:

Simple when I stop thinking about latching or changeover relays with
mains coils and how to power them!

Always best to stop thinking if you want to work something out!

I suppose however I could use a pair
of SPDT latching relays if I could find a momentary pull switch,

Well, I think standard 230VAC relays would be the easiest to source,
as would be a 1 way pull switch as opposed to a momentary one. I know
that I could walk into my local CEF tomorrow and get all the bitsd I'd
need to do the job.

thus
extending the life of any battery derived coil supply.

I'd use mains relays and power them from the lighting circuit,for the
sake of running a neutral in from the lighting circuit it's better
than having batteries.
--

SJW
BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:06:43 +0000, Richard strung
together this:

Simple when I stop thinking about latching or changeover relays with
mains coils and how to power them!

Always best to stop thinking if you want to work something out!

I suppose however I could use a pair
of SPDT latching relays if I could find a momentary pull switch,

Well, I think standard 230VAC relays would be the easiest to source,
as would be a 1 way pull switch as opposed to a momentary one. I know
that I could walk into my local CEF tomorrow and get all the bitsd I'd
need to do the job.

thus
extending the life of any battery derived coil supply.

I'd use mains relays and power them from the lighting circuit,for the
sake of running a neutral in from the lighting circuit it's better
than having batteries.

The only thing about using a relay, is that the solenoid coil in the relay would
have to stay on in one position, when switched. If left for a long period, the
coil may create enough heat to either the enamel on the coil and blow fuses, or
to cause a fire in surrounding materials when the relay housing melts. I
personally don't think a relay is the way to go, unless you can source one that
is designed to be left energised for long, long periods of time.

The wiring could be configured to make the switch positions different. The now
intermediate switch could be placed at one of the points where a two way switch
is now. We already have four conductors at the intermediate position, so you
could fit a two way to this point and use the remaining conductor a pass through
to one of the other points and make it into a intermediate switch point.

We need to know how the light fitting is connected to the switching system.
Things like, does the negative also enter at one of the switch points? Does the
live feed to the light fitting come from the opposite end of the circuit from
the supply?

Where does the light fitting pick up its negative? Are there any pass wires
already coming through any switch points?

More input. :-)

Lurch

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:19:28 GMT, "BigWallop"
strung together this:

The only thing about using a relay, is that the solenoid coil in the relay would
have to stay on in one position, when switched. If left for a long period, the
coil may create enough heat to either the enamel on the coil and blow fuses, or
to cause a fire in surrounding materials when the relay housing melts. I
personally don't think a relay is the way to go, unless you can source one that
is designed to be left energised for long, long periods of time.

That's something I did briefly think about. You could use one of those
electronic relay alternative kits with no moving parts instead.
--

SJW

BigWallop

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:19:28 GMT, "BigWallop"
strung together this:

The only thing about using a relay, is that the solenoid coil in the relay

would
have to stay on in one position, when switched. If left for a long period,

the
coil may create enough heat to either the enamel on the coil and blow fuses,

or
to cause a fire in surrounding materials when the relay housing melts. I
personally don't think a relay is the way to go, unless you can source one

that
is designed to be left energised for long, long periods of time.

That's something I did briefly think about. You could use one of those
electronic relay alternative kits with no moving parts instead.

Now that's a better idea. A bit more money, but actual working needs would suit
them. I never thought of one of those. Web search mode engaged. :-)

James Salisbury

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:19:28 GMT, "BigWallop"
strung together this:

The only thing about using a relay, is that the solenoid coil in the relay
would
have to stay on in one position, when switched. If left for a long
period, the
coil may create enough heat to either the enamel on the coil and blow
fuses, or
to cause a fire in surrounding materials when the relay housing melts. I
personally don't think a relay is the way to go, unless you can source one
that
is designed to be left energised for long, long periods of time.

That's something I did briefly think about. You could use one of those
electronic relay alternative kits with no moving parts instead.

Covert all the switches to momentry and use an impulse relay

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Richard writes:

If not has some enterprising soul worked out a circuit that will mimic
the operation of an intermediate switch, perhaps with suitable relays,
that can be controlled with an ordinary pull switch?

Can you change the layout of the circuit so the pull-cord is one
of the two way switches rather than an intermediate switch?

Another option would be an impulse relay, and changing all the
switches to momentary operating types. This is how multi-way
switching is done in some other countries (e.g. France), but
I don't know how easy it is to buy impulse relays in the UK.
(They change state each time they are operated, and are available
in DIN rail mounting form to go in a consumer unit.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Richard wrote:
I would like to replace the intermediate switch in the lighting circuit
in my attic study. At present it's an ordinary box mounted-on-the-wall
unit inconveniently mounted out of reach. What I want is a cord
operated pull switch mounted in the ceiling. I have never seen one of
these in any wiring catalogues. Does anyone supply them?

If not has some enterprising soul worked out a circuit that will mimic
the operation of an intermediate switch, perhaps with suitable relays,
that can be controlled with an ordinary pull switch?

The alternative is to rewire so that the pull switch is (electrically)
at the end and one of the other two switches is the intermediate
switch. The the pull switch need only be a two-way switch.

--
Chris Green