Rod Hewitt

Default Which carpet underlay?

I have seen a bit about carpet underlay recently. It seems that Cloud 9 is
highly rated. What is not clear to me is why. I realise that it is lighter
and so preferred by many fitters. It also has a higher tog value so
preferred on cold concrete floors.

But we are about to get a very ordinary bedroom carpet, on a standard
boarded first floor. The room is small and so there is a very definite
traffic area - with the vast majority under the bed, wardrobe, etc. Our
prime concern is the resistance of the underlay to getting unevenly worn in
this traffic area. Would Cloud 9 be better than recycled rubber, tredaire,
old fashioned felt? Any other suggestions?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Richard Faulkner

In message , Rod Hewitt
writes
I have seen a bit about carpet underlay recently. It seems that Cloud 9 is
highly rated. What is not clear to me is why. I realise that it is lighter
and so preferred by many fitters. It also has a higher tog value so
preferred on cold concrete floors.

But we are about to get a very ordinary bedroom carpet, on a standard
boarded first floor. The room is small and so there is a very definite
traffic area - with the vast majority under the bed, wardrobe, etc. Our
prime concern is the resistance of the underlay to getting unevenly worn in
this traffic area. Would Cloud 9 be better than recycled rubber, tredaire,
old fashioned felt? Any other suggestions?

Amongst other things, the cushioning effect of Cloud 9 makes cheaper
carpet feel much more expensive. I understand that a good underlay also
helps with wear.

--
Richard Faulkner
Reckless

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
I have seen a bit about carpet underlay recently. It seems that Cloud 9 is
highly rated. What is not clear to me is why. I realise that it is lighter
and so preferred by many fitters. It also has a higher tog value so
preferred on cold concrete floors.

But we are about to get a very ordinary bedroom carpet, on a standard
boarded first floor. The room is small and so there is a very definite
traffic area - with the vast majority under the bed, wardrobe, etc. Our
prime concern is the resistance of the underlay to getting unevenly worn

in
this traffic area. Would Cloud 9 be better than recycled rubber, tredaire,
old fashioned felt? Any other suggestions?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

I've got Cloud 9 in my front room with a reasonably expensive wool berber
carpet. It feels fantastic compared to what we had before (old green/brown
waffle rubber underlay and a 80/20 carpet). On the hall/stairs/landing I
thought I'd try some of the crumbed rubber construction. Fitter was pretty
crap and provided something that wasn't exactly what I'd asked for and so it
ended up being thinner than I'd bargained for. The carpet is again a 100%
wool berber but has a textured design. This feels cheaper by comparison to
our front room given that there's not much spring in it. As far as wear due
to traffic, I think the Cloud 9 is doing a good job but less cushioning is
noticeable in the high traffic zones whereas it's almost impossible to
notice wear on the HSL carpet given the lack of spring from new!

Nothing too conclusive but I like the Cloud 9.

Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 10:31 PM
Cloud 9 carpet underlay: experiences [email protected] UK diy 3 December 13th 04 10:40 PM
Carpet, underlay and gripper fun! Ric UK diy 19 October 8th 04 09:14 AM
carpet underlay Andrew UK diy 18 August 31st 04 11:39 AM
What to do with Wet Carpet in a house? TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 4th 04 02:17 AM