richard

Default small flush bolts?

Hi

we are currently in the process of installing double bi-fold doors in
hardwood. The problem is the centre opening between the two doors which we
had hoped to secure with a conventional 5-lever lock moves too much.

The carpoenters solution is to install a surface mounted bolt whichwould
secure one of the doors to the frame and get some rigidity and allow
the 5-lever lock to work. I'm wondering if there is an alternative way.
I'm thinking of a flush mounted sliding bolt than can fit in the door
style and fix the door to the frame, but the maximum width of that bolt
must be 10mm - so pretty samll.

Does anyone know where I can get such a bolt, or have any other
unobtrusvie ways of securing the door?

Hope I've explained myself clearly!

regs
Ric
Paul King

richard wrote:
Hi

we are currently in the process of installing double bi-fold doors in
hardwood. The problem is the centre opening between the two doors
which we had hoped to secure with a conventional 5-lever lock moves
too much.

The carpoenters solution is to install a surface mounted bolt
whichwould secure one of the doors to the frame and get some rigidity
and allow
the 5-lever lock to work. I'm wondering if there is an alternative
way. I'm thinking of a flush mounted sliding bolt than can fit in the
door style and fix the door to the frame, but the maximum width of
that bolt must be 10mm - so pretty samll.

Does anyone know where I can get such a bolt, or have any other
unobtrusvie ways of securing the door?

Hope I've explained myself clearly!

What I think you need (but don't know where to get them from) is the kind of
locks we have at my workplace which are used to lock sliding doors. They
"look" like ordinary 5-lever type locks - but when the key is thrown and the
lock-part pushes out, the top and bottom of it expands outwards even
further, thus locking the door.

I haven't explained myself clearly either - but someone on here will know
what I'm on about...

HTH

Paul King

Bad form to reply to your own post, but...

I've just been and taken a look at the locks we use. They're made by Yale
and the *CENTRE* of the bolt is in two parts. These splay out in opposite
directions when the lock is thrown, thus keeping the sliding door locked
shut.

HTH more!

mrcheerful

"richard" wrote in message
news
Hi

we are currently in the process of installing double bi-fold doors in
hardwood. The problem is the centre opening between the two doors which we
had hoped to secure with a conventional 5-lever lock moves too much.

The carpoenters solution is to install a surface mounted bolt whichwould
secure one of the doors to the frame and get some rigidity and allow
the 5-lever lock to work. I'm wondering if there is an alternative way.
I'm thinking of a flush mounted sliding bolt than can fit in the door
style and fix the door to the frame, but the maximum width of that bolt
must be 10mm - so pretty samll.

Does anyone know where I can get such a bolt, or have any other
unobtrusvie ways of securing the door?

Hope I've explained myself clearly!

regs
Ric

What about rack bolts, they are very small and unobtrusive, require a 16 mm
hole in the top or bottom of the door, but the operating key is tiny(
screwfix 49530), or flush bolts, where the operating part is in the side
edge of the door (screwfix 18988)or as Paul king suggests a high security
mortise door lock, that puts a bolt up and down at the same time as the
normal side action(can't see it in screwfix although they used to sell them)
or an espagnolette bolt (37219 or different colours with different numbers)

Paul King

Bad form to reply to your own post (again!), but...

The lock type I am thinking of is Yale M324.

Details available here :- http://www.yale.co.uk/mortice.html but you'll need
to move the slider at the right-hand side of the page down about 1/4 of the
way to see it!

HTH even more!

nightjar

"richard" wrote in message
news
Hi

we are currently in the process of installing double bi-fold doors in
hardwood. The problem is the centre opening between the two doors which we
had hoped to secure with a conventional 5-lever lock moves too much.

The carpoenters solution is to install a surface mounted bolt whichwould
secure one of the doors to the frame and get some rigidity and allow
the 5-lever lock to work. I'm wondering if there is an alternative way.
I'm thinking of a flush mounted sliding bolt than can fit in the door
style and fix the door to the frame, but the maximum width of that bolt
must be 10mm - so pretty samll.

Does anyone know where I can get such a bolt, or have any other
unobtrusvie ways of securing the door?

I would use a lever action flush bolt in both the top and bottom edge of the
door that carries the lock plate - Item 10 at the following link:

http://www.aandhbrass.co.uk/page128.htm

I would also use a multi-point lock for the other door. That will lock
itself into the frame as well as locking to the other door.

http://www.aandhbrass.co.uk/page111.htm

Any good locksmith will be able to supply both items.

Colin Bignell