DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brick wall (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/84623-brick-wall.html)

Lawrence Zarb December 31st 04 08:59 AM

Brick wall

I am going to rebulid my boundary brickwall. It will be single skin
construction with brick piers. My question is, should I have a damp
proof course?

Tony Bryer December 31st 04 11:24 AM

In article
lgate.org,
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I am going to rebulid my boundary brickwall. It will be single skin
construction with brick piers. My question is, should I have a damp
proof course?

Preferably not, as it provides a weak spot. If you do really want one
use a couple of courses of engineering bricks

Space_Cowby December 31st 04 11:49 AM

you wont need one unless it is attached to yours or a adjoining house or
garage
news:a7122b8644802c3554726093afc2d048.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...

The Natural Philosopher December 31st 04 02:55 PM

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

I am going to rebulid my boundary brickwall. It will be single skin
construction with brick piers. My question is, should I have a damp
proof course?

Not strictly necessaru oif good bricks and stiff mnortar used, but not
abd thing

- see www.pavingexpert.com

The Natural Philosopher December 31st 04 02:56 PM

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article
lgate.org,
Lawrence Zarb wrote:

I am going to rebulid my boundary brickwall. It will be single skin
construction with brick piers. My question is, should I have a damp
proof course?

Preferably not, as it provides a weak spot. If you do really want one
use a couple of courses of engineering bricks

Or slates.

It can help stop splatting in cases of soggy ground and frost.

Space_Cowby December 31st 04 06:48 PM

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

I am going to rebulid my boundary brickwall. It will be single skin
construction with brick piers. My question is, should I have a damp
proof course?

Not strictly necessaru oif good bricks and stiff mnortar used, but not abd
thing

- see www.pavingexpert.com

Don't care what the web site tells you. 20 years of experience tells me a
stiff mortar will make no difference at all. By good bricks you must a class
a engineering brick which will resist dampness but it just travels thru the
mortar joint.

Tony Bryer January 1st 05 09:04 PM

In article ,
Space_Cowby wrote:
Don't care what the web site tells you. 20 years of experience
tells me a stiff mortar will make no difference at all. By good
bricks you must a class a engineering brick which will resist
dampness but it just travels thru the mortar joint.

No: build a manhole with semi-engineering bricks and 1:3 mortar and
the brickwork will be 100% (OK 99.5%) watertight.