DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   smoking worktop (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/84612-smoking-worktop.html)

Ben Blaukopf December 30th 04 09:10 PM

smoking worktop

I've just done my first mitre cut with a borrowed router and jig. Turned
out quite nicely. However, when I was cutting the worktop, any time the
bit was near the moisture barrier at the bottom (so on the last pass of
my female cut and all the way through my male cut) it looked like the
whole affair was about to catch fire - lots of smoke coming off.

Is this normal?? The worktop is a B&Q Ebony black gloss.

Ben

Michael Mcneil December 30th 04 11:03 PM

"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message

Is this normal?? The worktop is a B&Q Ebony black gloss.

No. Immitation marble is the most common.

Ben Blaukopf December 30th 04 11:22 PM

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message

Is this normal?? The worktop is a B&Q Ebony black gloss.

No. Immitation marble is the most common.

:) Funny, I didn't think I'd posted this to cam.misc
(kind of place where that sort of response is practically
mandatory).

Alright - is this normal, peculiar to B&Q worktops, or
peculiar to me and my router (or more likely my technique).

Ben

tony sayer December 31st 04 11:24 AM

In article , Ben Blaukopf ben-
writes
Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message

Is this normal?? The worktop is a B&Q Ebony black gloss.

No. Immitation marble is the most common.

:) Funny, I didn't think I'd posted this to cam.misc
(kind of place where that sort of response is practically
mandatory).

Yes.. Know what U mean;)

Alright - is this normal, peculiar to B&Q worktops, or
peculiar to me and my router (or more likely my technique).

Well there is some friction going on no matter how sharp the blade so
heat will be generated so a bit of smoke/steam is to be expected.

Didn't rent the cutter from Ridgeons by chance?, I know someone who did
and they had to go back a couple of times before finding a sharp one;(

--
Tony Sayer

Paul Mc Cann December 31st 04 01:21 PM

In article , says...
snip.

Didn't rent the cutter from Ridgeons by chance?, I know someone who did
and they had to go back a couple of times before finding a sharp one;(

There is a simple test for a router cutter. Try it on the back (NOT the
edge) of your thumbnail. It should make an impression, if not, it is not
the sharpest.
--
Paul Mc Cann

Andy Burns December 31st 04 05:09 PM

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

There is a simple test for a router cutter. Try it on the back (NOT the
edge) of your thumbnail.

At what RPM? :-)

Michael Mcneil January 1st 05 07:40 AM

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:c794f241a4c547cb6d1807d505b6bae9.45219@mygate .mailgate.org

"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message

Is this normal?? The worktop is a B&Q Ebony black gloss.

If it starts smoking, you have too much of a cut for one pass with a
dull blade going far to slowly along the cut. A vicious circle as when
the blade is dull, you need to take longer.

A trick in an emergency is to saw to as near the line as possible then
cut the straight edge with a router. In that case you only need to
remove some 1 or 2 millimeters.