DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing excess grout from tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/846-removing-excess-grout-tiles.html)

Kaptain Kremin August 3rd 03 06:48 PM

Removing excess grout from tiles

Okay a wee while back now i never got round to cleaning the grout off my
tiles, ive tried using a plastic scouring pad, takes alot of elbow grease
but im getting there. I remember someone telling me you can buy a solvent or
something to remove this grout on the surface of tiles, anyone know what it
is?

TIA

SadKate*** August 3rd 03 07:24 PM

Removing excess grout from tiles

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:59:23 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Kaptain Kremin" wrote in message
Okay a wee while back now i never got round to cleaning the grout off my
tiles, ive tried using a plastic scouring pad, takes alot of elbow grease
but im getting there. I remember someone telling me you can buy a solvent

or
something to remove this grout on the surface of tiles, anyone know what

it
is?

TIA

Try taking a broken bit of tile and scrape it off like that. Works wonder
when broken edge meets softer grout.

Got any tips for removing (very well attached) tiles without taking
off most of the plaster?

Ta.

Mindwipe August 3rd 03 08:47 PM

Removing excess grout from tiles

i use a scaper the kind with changeable blades( for cleaning glass)
"BillR" wrote in message
Kaptain Kremin wrote:
Okay a wee while back now i never got round to cleaning the grout off
my tiles, ive tried using a plastic scouring pad, takes alot of elbow
grease but im getting there. I remember someone telling me you can
buy a solvent or something to remove this grout on the surface of
tiles, anyone know what it is?

TIA

There are substances on the market. They are generally to be found in the
dedicated tile outlets. Lithofin are one manufacturer.They can be very
strong and acidic so have to be used with care.

Kaptain Kremin August 3rd 03 10:41 PM

Removing excess grout from tiles

Ha ha :o) that did make me cringe a bit also, i do have quite rough finished
tiles but i cant see that really working, hatnks mister "only meEEEEEe!" .
Think ill go for the chemical someone mentioned, thanks all the same.

wrote:

Try taking a broken bit of tile and scrape it off like that. Works

wonder
when broken edge meets softer grout.

And causes no end of trouble when the hard tile chips or scratches the
glaze (yet more moronic advice from Harry Enfield).

Stick with the plastic abrasive. Use a cork block behind it, if you
want a bit more elbow grease.

The Natural Philosopher August 4th 03 11:58 AM

Kaptain Kremin wrote:

Okay a wee while back now i never got round to cleaning the grout off my
tiles, ive tried using a plastic scouring pad, takes alot of elbow grease
but im getting there. I remember someone telling me you can buy a solvent or
something to remove this grout on the surface of tiles, anyone know what it
is?

TIA

Limescale remove and a pan scourer,

You can use patio cleaner/brick acid but its pretty fierce...