DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Moving gas meter (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/84596-moving-gas-meter.html)

Jon W December 30th 04 04:16 PM

Moving gas meter

I'm thinking of moving my gas meter from inside to outdoors in one of those
plastic white boxes. Obviously the work would be done by Transco, and from
Googling there seems to be an 8 week wait, and a £250 charge.

Anyway, the meter would be located in the same place, but on the outside,
rather than than the inside. Are there any reasons not to get this done. The
only reason we're considering it, is to free up some space in the kitchen.

TIA

Jon

Lobster December 30th 04 04:34 PM

Jon W wrote:
I'm thinking of moving my gas meter from inside to outdoors in one of those
plastic white boxes. Obviously the work would be done by Transco, and from
Googling there seems to be an 8 week wait, and a £250 charge.

Anyway, the meter would be located in the same place, but on the outside,
rather than than the inside. Are there any reasons not to get this done. The
only reason we're considering it, is to free up some space in the kitchen.

What sort of reasons were you thinking of (other than the cost?!)

I think it's the method of choice these days, because it means the meter
readers can access the meter whenever they want without bothering you.
When I had to have my meter moved a few years ago (because the garage it
was in was being demolished!) I used this route, with no probs as far as
I can see.

David

Ed Sirett December 30th 04 09:37 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:16:36 +0000, Jon W wrote:

I'm thinking of moving my gas meter from inside to outdoors in one of those
plastic white boxes. Obviously the work would be done by Transco, and from
Googling there seems to be an 8 week wait, and a £250 charge.

Anyway, the meter would be located in the same place, but on the outside,
rather than than the inside. Are there any reasons not to get this done. The
only reason we're considering it, is to free up some space in the kitchen.

In addition to the £250 you may well find that you are also responsible
for extending the installation pipe from inside the house to the new box
outside. This may be a diy task within your capabilities or you may be
looking at £100? for a fitter to do this for you.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Jon W January 2nd 05 07:28 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
Jon W wrote:
I'm thinking of moving my gas meter from inside to outdoors in one of

those
plastic white boxes. Obviously the work would be done by Transco, and

from
Googling there seems to be an 8 week wait, and a £250 charge.

Anyway, the meter would be located in the same place, but on the

outside,
rather than than the inside. Are there any reasons not to get this done.

The
only reason we're considering it, is to free up some space in the

kitchen.

What sort of reasons were you thinking of (other than the cost?!)

Now that you ask, I haven't a clue. Stupid question on my part, but you
never know, someone might have come up a reason.

Jon W January 2nd 05 07:29 PM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
[...]

Cheers Ed, but if anything, moving the box will mean shoptening the length
of the installation pipe.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Ed Sirett January 3rd 05 12:04 AM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:29:47 +0000, Jon W wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
n.co.uk...
[...]

However you work it. Transco will not rework _your_ pipe to fit the new
meter. They will simply leave the new meter tested (for gas tightness) and
capped off. If the installation pipe is shorter that makes for a simpler
job but the cost is mostly getting there and getting started IYSWIM.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Broadback January 3rd 05 12:47 PM

When I had mine done I actually installed the White box myself, which
saved a few quid, though that was not part of transcos job. After I
placed the order they put me in touch with the local depot, I drove
there and picked up the box (no charge). Just a little information that
may be of help.
As an aside I also had the electricity box moved, at greater expense
than transco, for, in my view, less work. Now they keep ringing my bell
for access to read my meter, can't get it into their little computer
system that's it,s outside. Tried everything, even the different
supplier is the same. Gas people got it right from the start though.