Ian Robinson

Default Ideas for fixing up driveway

Hi,

I'm looking for some ideas for fixing up the driveway of my house.
Pictures at the URL below. Some background. The previous owners got one
of those cheap tarmac outfits (Got a bit of tar left over, guv...) to
skim over the top of concrete. I ripped it up about 6 months ago as it
looked like crap (even worse than it does now) and it was crumbling. I
had just got new solid wood floors put down and didn't want to walk in
the small black stones.

Anyway I'm going to sell the house in a few months. I've had it double
glazed, solid beech wooden floors throughout, rewired, replumbed, new
kitchen, new bathroom with power shower and 2 rooms & hallway
replastered. The crappy wooden garage in the pictures will be
demolished as well.

So I'm looking for reasonable cheap, but decent ways to fix the drive
so potential buyers get a good first impression. Not looking to just
hide it to get a sale.

Any ideas gratefully received. Pictures of the drive way at -

http://www.canicula.com/drive/Sites.html

Cheers,

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - http://www.canicula.com

BigWallop

"Ian Robinson" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Contact a personal friend of mine he

http://www.townandcountrydriveways.co.uk/

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Ian Robinson

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:09:35 +0100, BigWallop wrote
(in message ):

Contact a personal friend of mine he

http://www.townandcountrydriveways.co.uk/

Thanks. But they are in Shropshire. I'm in Belfast. Might be an issue!

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - http://www.canicula.com
Soapbox - http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html

BigWallop

"Ian Robinson" wrote in message
.net...
On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:09:35 +0100, BigWallop wrote
(in message ):

Contact a personal friend of mine he

http://www.townandcountrydriveways.co.uk/

Thanks. But they are in Shropshire. I'm in Belfast. Might be an issue!

Ian

Oh Bugger !!! Sorry Sir, I didn't know. :-)) But still worth contacting
him for recommendations of people in your area.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Harvey Van Sickle

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:01:37 GMT, Ian Robinson wrote

-snip-

So I'm looking for reasonable cheap, but decent ways to fix the
drive so potential buyers get a good first impression. Not looking
to just hide it to get a sale.

Any ideas gratefully received. Pictures of the drive way at -

http://www.canicula.com/drive/Sites.html

What about a really serious pressure-washing?

And if that doesn't make it presentable, how about just covering it
with a few inches of gravel?

[Both of which suggestions are entirely non-technical and off the top
of my head in a "gosh-this-glass-of-wine-is-nice" sort of way..... ]

--
Cheers, Harvey

Ottawa/Toronto/Edmonton for 30 years;
Southern England for the past 21 years.
(for e-mail, change harvey to whhvs)

Ian Robinson

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:56:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote
(in message ):

I'd fix that URL if I were you. It times out on me.

Weird. It's okay for me.

I'd be inclined to slap in some edges and fill it up with gravel, and
leave it at that.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers,

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - http://www.canicula.com
Soapbox - http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html

Ian Robinson

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 22:23:18 +0100, Harvey Van Sickle wrote
(in message ):

What about a really serious pressure-washing?

And if that doesn't make it presentable, how about just covering it
with a few inches of gravel?

Sounds like a possibility. Thanks.

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - http://www.canicula.com
Soapbox - http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html

Brad

Seeing as no-one else has said it. Have you looked at
http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Obviously it focuses on brick & block paving, which may be too much
for your needs, but the pictures in some parts can provide some ideas.

Alternatively, I guess you could pressure wash it, repoint it and
paint it with a suitable hard wearing concrete paint.

Gravel certainly sounds like the easy option but I reckon you'll end
up with those bits in your house instead of the tarmac :0)

Have fun !!
Mark

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:16:53 +0100, Ian Robinson
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 22:23:18 +0100, Harvey Van Sickle wrote
(in message ):

What about a really serious pressure-washing?

And if that doesn't make it presentable, how about just covering it
with a few inches of gravel?

Sounds like a possibility. Thanks.

Ian

And get your neighbour to park up the road when you show anyone round.
;-)

Mark S.

Ian Robinson

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:51:27 +0100, Mark wrote
(in message ):

And get your neighbour to park up the road when you show anyone round.
;-)

:-) He, and his van, are away during the day. having said that he is an
excellent neighbour.

Cheers,

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - http://www.canicula.com
Soapbox - http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html

Ian Robinson

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:01:37 +0100, Ian Robinson wrote
(in message ):

Any ideas gratefully received. Pictures of the drive way at -

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to go for a dual approach. For the
small recangle between the front of the house and the wall I'm going to
lay flagstones. For the driveway bit I'm going to go the gravel route.

Thanks.

Ian

--
Ian Robinson, Belfast, UK - http://www.canicula.com
Soapbox - http://homepage.mac.com/ianrobinson/index.html

Ben Blaney

Brad wrote:

Alternatively, I guess you could pressure wash it, repoint it and
paint it with a suitable hard wearing concrete paint.

This sounds like the best idea to me.

Gravel certainly sounds like the easy option but I reckon you'll end
up with those bits in your house instead of the tarmac :0)

I have a gravel drive. It's awful. Never, ever again (not that I chose
it - a legacy of the previous owner)

--
Ben Blaney
GSF1200 VFR800 CBR600 CD200
Ian Robinson

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:12:35 +0100, Ben Blaney wrote
(in message ):

Alternatively, I guess you could pressure wash it, repoint it and
paint it with a suitable hard wearing concrete paint.

This sounds like the best idea to me.

Okay. Despite my previous message I'm still willing to avoid the gravel
option. So If I pressure wash this so it's a clean as it's going to get
how would I repoint it. Would I just fill in the joins, gaps etc. with
a concrete mix? What proportion of mix would be suitable?

What suitable hard wearing concrete paint would be recommended?

cheers,

Ian

Weeds on driveway Slugsie UK diy 10 July 13th 03 10:11 PM
Thanks all for your help and ideas Gnube UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 08:28 PM