PhilÅ

Default Grouting Help

Hello

My Shower room (4 months on..)

Now ma happy nearly have all the tiles on the walls, just need a grouting
hand.

I have some ready mixed grout (never done grouting before..)

I have been told to get a sponge and get some on, then push it in the cracks
and wipe away,. Then after a small time??? wet the sponge to get a nice
smooth finish, then after some more time, with a damp sponge wipe the crap
off the tiles??

The problem is I don't know much about these times.

I am thinking wait about 30 mins then with wet sponge smooth the grouting???

Then a few days before wiping off the tiles (with wet or dry cloth?)

Any help at this great stage is much appreciated?

Many Thanks
Phil

John Rumm

PhilÅ wrote:

Now ma happy nearly have all the tiles on the walls, just need a grouting
hand.

I am no tiling expert, but can describe what worked for me...

I have some ready mixed grout (never done grouting before..)

Make sure it is proper grout, and not a "Tile'n'Grout" (if it is then
throw it away NOW!). Bal or Nicobond are reputable makes. The powdered
ones are actually very easy to use as well, so don't be afraid of going
that route either.

I have been told to get a sponge and get some on, then push it in the cracks
and wipe away,. Then after a small time??? wet the sponge to get a nice
smooth finish, then after some more time, with a damp sponge wipe the crap
off the tiles??

I would recommend a decent grouting float. Say:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040217616

These are like a plasterers float, but with a surface made from squeegy
rubber on a foam base. They let you squeeze the grout into the gaps very
quickly, but at the same time wipe pretty much all of the residue off
the face of the tiles as you go. So you pick up some grout on the corner
of the float, slap it into the joints, and then clean off the face of
the tiles using the edge of the float like a squeegy (the accumulated
gunk can then be used for grouting adjacent tiles, or returned to the
mixing pot and reused that way.

The problem is I don't know much about these times.

I am thinking wait about 30 mins then with wet sponge smooth the grouting???

Its probably better to work by area, say 1 sq meter at a time. Put the
grout on, wiping the excess off the tiles as you go with the float. By
the time you have done that much the first bit will be starting to go
off. using a slightly damp sponge wipe along the grout lines, leaving a
smooth finish.

Then a few days before wiping off the tiles (with wet or dry cloth?)

Dry will do fine. Kitchen roll will save you needing loads of clean
cloths. The very thin film of grout left after the float and sponge will
basically brush off.

If you want a nice concave finish to you your grouting, then Wickes sell
what is basically a rubber finger. You can use to draw along the grout
lines before sponging, and it will give a even concave finish. (I also
found one quite useful for getting a pleasing profile on silicone
sealant when used with masking tape guides as per the uk.d-i-y FAQ).

--
Cheers,

John.

Grouting problem MikeyP UK diy 9 October 9th 04 08:30 PM
"grouting" between interior sandstone flagstones James W UK diy 1 October 30th 03 09:57 PM