DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Washing machine making a loud noise only on spin (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8357-washing-machine-making-loud-noise-only-spin.html)

James Onslow May 3rd 04 07:56 PM

Washing machine making a loud noise only on spin

Hi,

My 5 yr old Creda w/m works fine except when it's on the last fast
spin. Once it gets to this it makes an awful "clackety, clackety" -
knocking sound which probably everyone in the whole block of flats can
hear.

I have taken all the panels off. There seems to be no play in the drum
or the motor. The fan belt is pretty tight. The spider looks fine. The
concrete blocks are all secure. The suspension rods look fine (but
that's as far as i could check with them). I got in the drum (as far
as possible anyway!) but I cannot see anything between the two drums.
So now I am stuck.

The noise seems to start as the machine picks up to a very high spin
but occasionally it seems to 'knock itself out' and sometimes stops
and the spin finishes quietly. It does sound as if there maybe
something loose.

There is a tiny bit of brown on the outer drum below the bearings but
not a great deal.

Can anyone help at all?

Many thanks, James

Brian May 3rd 04 08:02 PM

Washing machine making a loud noise only on spin

"James Onslow" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Probably one of the springs has broken. There should be two springs from
the top of the drum, one to the front of the machine and one to the back.
I temporarily fixed mine once using a short elastic luggage strap.
Trust this helps
Brian

Chris O May 3rd 04 11:38 PM

Washing machine making a loud noise only on spin

There was a thread on something similar back around mid March - see
following link :-
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...threadm=c34coe
%242c4djd%241%40athena.ex.ac.uk&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522washing%2Bmac
hine%2522%2Bgrindng%2B%2Bgroup:uk.d-i-y%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%
3DUTF-8%26group%3Duk.d-i-y%26selm%3Dc34coe%25242c4djd%25241%2540athena.ex.a c
..uk%26rnum%3D1

Several of the replies suggested something like the following
i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It

now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of

metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

At the risk of sounding obvious, the only time that this happened to me was
when a nail fell out of a pocket and went through one of the drum drain
holes and jammed there scraping on the outer drum. The same effect can be
got from coins, bra wires or other hardware. You may have to remove the seal
and look with a torch, but I would check this before dismantling more of the
machine!
__________________________________________________ _________-

HTH

Chris O

Tony Williams May 4th 04 08:44 AM

Washing machine making a loud noise only on spin

In article ,
James Onslow wrote:

My 5 yr old Creda w/m works fine except when it's on the last
fast spin. Once it gets to this it makes an awful "clackety,
clackety" - knocking sound which probably everyone in the whole
block of flats can hear.

[snip]
The noise seems to start as the machine picks up to a very high
spin but occasionally it seems to 'knock itself out' and
sometimes stops and the spin finishes quietly. It does sound as
if there maybe something loose.

Our Hoover recently did something similar, a nasty
clackety noise at the back end of the spin. Turned
out to be curtain hooks inside the drain pump, no
noise at all whilst the pump had water to pump, but
rattling against the impellor during the last spin
when the pump was spinning dry.

--
Tony Williams.

N. Thornton May 6th 04 05:53 AM

(James Onslow) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

My 5 yr old Creda w/m works fine except when it's on the last fast
spin. Once it gets to this it makes an awful "clackety, clackety" -
knocking sound which probably everyone in the whole block of flats can
hear.

One more possible explanation: Usually you get 2 springs holding the
top of the drum. If either spring reaches the point where it
momentarily stops being in tension, it makes a hell of a noise, out of
all proportion to its little size. 2 causes for this:
1. out of balance load - will happen just once or twice
2. shock absorbers deteriorating - solution add some DIY shock
absorbtion to the springs
3. Design feature/ limitation - solution as 2.

Regards, NT