John Daragon

Default Joint hardware...

Chaps, hi;

I want to upgrade a workbench. The top is fine, but the legs aren't as
stable as they might be, so I'd like to put together a frame of (say) 4x4s,
braced with some half inch ply, but I'd like to be able to dismantle the
thing if need be.

So I'm looking for a simple jointing system. There is (was?) one with a
metal cylinder drilled and threaded for a perpendicular bolt, which was
often used for flat-pack furniture.

Does anyone have any idea what this is called and where I might buy it from
?

jd
--
John Daragon argv[0] limited
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:10:01 +0000, John Daragon
wrote:

Does anyone have any idea what this is called and where I might buy it from

Isaac Lord. They're called barrel bolts - you buy them as two pieces;
round nut and bolt. There are also different head shapes for flush or
surface heads, or tubular female bolts for a direct connection between
components.

Screwfix sell a few, but much smaller range. In particular they only
go to 100mm or so in length, and Isaac Lord go to 150mm.

Always insert the nut part into a through hole, not a blind hole.
Blind holes need to be exactly the right depth and are a pain to get
the alignment right. A spare bolt with the end ground to a point is
also a useful alignment tool.

Design your workbench framing joints so that each is pulled together
by two of these bolts, spaced as far apart as possible. Using a single
bolt just isn't rigid enough against racking.
Rick Dipper

wrote:

Chaps, hi;

I want to upgrade a workbench. The top is fine, but the legs aren't as
stable as they might be, so I'd like to put together a frame of (say) 4x4s,
braced with some half inch ply, but I'd like to be able to dismantle the
thing if need be.

So I'm looking for a simple jointing system. There is (was?) one with a
metal cylinder drilled and threaded for a perpendicular bolt, which was
often used for flat-pack furniture.

Does anyone have any idea what this is called and where I might buy it from
?

jd

Halving Joints and screws do it for me ...............

Assuming you only dismantle occasionally.

If screws look too wimpy, try bolts or coach screws.

Rick