-= debully =-

Default Identify this carpentry tool?

Hi,

I need some sort of mitre block that will adjust to various angles.
I specifically need it to cut coving to go into a bay-window.
Bloke I work with reckons that I need such a mitre block and an angle
finder, looked on screwfix and cant really see anything that'll be of use.
I cant really use my proper hand mitre saw as you have to hold the coving in
position that wouldn't fit into it to avoid brain mashing compound cuts.

Cheers

mrcheerful

"-= debully =-" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I need some sort of mitre block that will adjust to various angles.
I specifically need it to cut coving to go into a bay-window.
Bloke I work with reckons that I need such a mitre block and an angle
finder, looked on screwfix and cant really see anything that'll be of use.
I cant really use my proper hand mitre saw as you have to hold the coving

in
position that wouldn't fit into it to avoid brain mashing compound cuts.

Cheers

I made a holder for my hand type mitre saw that presents the coving at its
fitted angle . Fits in my mitre saw ok. mind you I have also used a
compound angle electric mitre saw with even better results.

mrcheerful

Peter Taylor

"-= debully =-" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I need some sort of mitre block that will adjust to various angles.
I specifically need it to cut coving to go into a bay-window.
Bloke I work with reckons that I need such a mitre block and an angle
finder, looked on screwfix and cant really see anything that'll be of use.
I cant really use my proper hand mitre saw as you have to hold the coving in
position that wouldn't fit into it to avoid brain mashing compound cuts.

Cheers

If you watch a professional installing cornices and coving, they don't bother
with angles or mitre blocks. The cut is simply a guess, the only critical thing
is making sure the length of cornice is not too long. The rough and open joints
are made good later with Plaster of Paris. Apparently it's much easier to hide
the joints this way than making a neat fit.

HTH
Peter

Paper2002AD

There is a cheap plastic gizmo sold alongside the coving at places like B & Q.
Used one way it cuts an internal mitre, and used the other way cuts an
externalmitre. Works a treat but you will still need to do a bit of
filling/sanding to finish.
John

"-= debully =-" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I need some sort of mitre block that will adjust to various angles.
I specifically need it to cut coving to go into a bay-window.
Bloke I work with reckons that I need such a mitre block and an angle
finder, looked on screwfix and cant really see anything that'll be of use.
I cant really use my proper hand mitre saw as you have to hold the coving

in
position that wouldn't fit into it to avoid brain mashing compound cuts.

Cheers

You need one of these http://www.magicmitre.co.uk, never seen one in the
sheds but you can order direct and also on QVC from time to time go to
www.qvcuk.com and search for item no. 515174 (It is slightly cheaper at QVC)

Hope that helps

John

-= debully =-

"John" wrote in message
"-= debully =-" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Cheers John,

Looks the job.

jacob

The trad way is to make up your own mitre block on site, to fit size
of moulding. Just 2 bits of say 2x2 inch nailed together to make an
L. You then cut it at whatever angle you need - having marked it up
very carefully with sliding bevel and square.
If you are canting up a flat moulding to make a cornice you stick a
couple of nails in the bottom piece of the block to hold the piece at
the required angle (45 deg or otherwise as long as you are consistent)
while you cut it.
Most of the bought gizmo's are more trouble than they are worth and
won't do everything you want anyway.

cheers

Jacob