Peter Taylor

Default lime plastering - expected costs vs gypsum

Anna Kettle wrote

What is the "ready mixed" lime mortar you can get from people like Tilcon or

RMC
and how does it differ chemically from lime putty mortar?

all the suppliers' literature I've seen seems to assume it is going
to be mixed with cement on site.

This website shows what I mean:
http://www.mortar.org.uk/wm_hom01.htm

The mix which this company sells is probably hydrated lime and sand.
When the cement is added, there is just a normal cement set, with the
lime acting as a plasticiser for the mix

But had the cement not been added, yes the ready mix is chemically
similar to lime putty mortar - just add water -

Thank you Anna. So if they are chemically similar, why is it necessary to use
lime putty rather than simply mix sand, hydrated lime and water?

Peter

Anna Kettle

Thank you Anna. So if they are chemically similar, why is it necessary to use
lime putty rather than simply mix sand, hydrated lime and water?

If you buy hydrated lime then ts best to soak it in a tub of water for
a day or two which makes it nice and plastic

remarkably like lime putty ;-)

Lime putty gets better with age as it soaks in the water so bought
lime putty will be a better quality than a quick two day soak will
provide. I like to use lime putty which is at least six months old.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Peter Taylor

Anna Kettle wrote
Thank you Anna. So if they are chemically similar, why is it necessary to

use
lime putty rather than simply mix sand, hydrated lime and water?

If you buy hydrated lime then ts best to soak it in a tub of water for
a day or two which makes it nice and plastic

remarkably like lime putty ;-)

Lime putty gets better with age as it soaks in the water so bought
lime putty will be a better quality than a quick two day soak will
provide. I like to use lime putty which is at least six months old.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Plaster conservation and lime plaster repair
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Got it! I've been pondering about that for years - it's just a matter of
quality and plasticity. Thank you for sorting it out for me.

Peter