DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Digital Camera power supply (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/8259-digital-camera-power-supply.html)

[email protected] April 29th 04 07:33 AM

Digital Camera power supply

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

AK April 29th 04 09:00 AM

wrote in message

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

If it's just a matter of swapping the cable over (figure of 8 connection) it
is just fine. I bought a cannon ixus from the USA and it all works great

T i m April 29th 04 09:06 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:33:28 +0100, wrote:

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

It uses between 100 to 240 volts AC (auto sensing) and will work with
both 50 and 60 hertz supply frequences (UK / US / others)

The solid top and broken bottom lines indicate a (unregulated?) DC
supply at 5.3 volts and at a max current of 1 amp.

T i m

Dave Plowman April 29th 04 09:06 AM

Digital Camera power supply

In article ,
wrote:
I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz

Well, the US is 110v 60Hz and we're 230v 50Hz, so it's ok.

0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

Its output will be roughly 5.3 watts, and the input no more than 27 watts.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

[email protected] April 29th 04 07:52 PM

Digital Camera power supply

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:06:42 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz

Well, the US is 110v 60Hz and we're 230v 50Hz, so it's ok.

0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

Its output will be roughly 5.3 watts, and the input no more than 27 watts.

How did you work out the 27W please?

Ian Stirling April 29th 04 08:01 PM

wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:06:42 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz

Well, the US is 110v 60Hz and we're 230v 50Hz, so it's ok.

0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

Its output will be roughly 5.3 watts, and the input no more than 27 watts.

How did you work out the 27W please?

0.12*240V.
Worse case interpretation of the label for input power.
It's likely that it'll be 0.12A at 100V (12W) and probably 6-8W at 240V.

The output power should stay the same.

geoff April 29th 04 09:25 PM

Digital Camera power supply

In message ,
writes

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

Read what you've written and answer your own question

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

What what, what what ?-
--
geoff

Simon Gardner April 29th 04 09:48 PM

wrote:

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

Yup. I sourced my new Camera in the US and saved US$1500 in the process
(including Shipping & VAT). The charger works just fine in the UK and in
other parts of Europe. Easiest thing is to replace the lead - about four
quid at Maplin. I've actually got three leads in my camera case for it (one
US, one French and one UK).

[email protected] April 29th 04 10:10 PM

Digital Camera power supply

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:48:36 +0100, rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

Yup. I sourced my new Camera in the US and saved US$1500 in the process
(including Shipping & VAT). The charger works just fine in the UK and in
other parts of Europe. Easiest thing is to replace the lead - about four
quid at Maplin. I've actually got three leads in my camera case for it (one
US, one French and one UK).

Thought about it but the lead has a "capicator" type of unit in the
middle and was not sure what this was for. The adaptors in Maplin were
just straight wires.

Dave Plowman April 29th 04 10:54 PM

wrote:
Thought about it but the lead has a "capicator" type of unit in the
middle and was not sure what this was for.

Probably a filter to cut down radiated interference. Would work without
it, but not conform to regs.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Ian Stirling April 29th 04 10:55 PM

wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:48:36 +0100,
rnet[dot]co[dot]uk
(Simon Gardner) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that
the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will
appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A
Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line
and three broken lines under it.

Yup. I sourced my new Camera in the US and saved US$1500 in the process
(including Shipping & VAT). The charger works just fine in the UK and in
other parts of Europe. Easiest thing is to replace the lead - about four
quid at Maplin. I've actually got three leads in my camera case for it (one
US, one French and one UK).

Thought about it but the lead has a "capicator" type of unit in the
middle and was not sure what this was for. The adaptors in Maplin were
just straight wires.

Inductor.
It's there to absorb noise, and may be needed for the camera to meet
emissions regulations when powered from it.
Safety-wise no effect.

Simon Gardner April 30th 04 09:32 AM

wrote:

Yup. I sourced my new Camera in the US and saved US$1500 in the process
(including Shipping & VAT). The charger works just fine in the UK and in
other parts of Europe. Easiest thing is to replace the lead - about four
quid at Maplin. I've actually got three leads in my camera case for it (one
US, one French and one UK).

Thought about it but the lead has a "capicator" type of unit in the
middle and was not sure what this was for. The adaptors in Maplin were
just straight wires.

Mine certainly doesn't. The original lead was just a straight wire and the
Maplin ones work just fine. If you've got a spare plug then a bare wire
figure-of-eight plug and lead is under GBP2.

I looked at a "UK" Canon charger and it was completely identical.

Scott M April 30th 04 11:32 AM

geoff wrote:

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

What what, what what ?-

Goon Show
Only 4 whats? You're not very bright, are you?
/Goon Show

--
Scott