DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do I take this thermostat off the wall to renew it? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/82427-how-do-i-take-thermostat-off-wall-renew.html)

Phil McCavity December 20th 04 03:12 PM

How do I take this thermostat off the wall to renew it?

http://s04.imagehost.org/1288/Honeywell.JPG

My radiator heating will only start when put to continuous
if the water heating is put on continuous as well, so I
presume that the thermostat is faulty ( could there be
another cause?). Ther are only two wires going into
a hole on the other side of the wall so the thermostat
must come off from the front. I would be grateful if
anyone could point me to the right way to get it off.
Thanks,

Andy Burns December 20th 04 04:08 PM

Phil McCavity wrote:

How do I take this thermostat off the wall to renew it?
http://s04.imagehost.org/1288/Honeywell.JPG

That *isn't* a thermostat, it's a controller ...

Or are we waiting for your friend Ben Doon to come along and shout "troll!"

BigWallop December 20th 04 04:15 PM

"Phil McCavity" wrote in message
http://s04.imagehost.org/1288/Honeywell.JPG

My radiator heating will only start when put to continuous
if the water heating is put on continuous as well, so I
presume that the thermostat is faulty ( could there be
another cause?). Ther are only two wires going into
a hole on the other side of the wall so the thermostat
must come off from the front. I would be grateful if
anyone could point me to the right way to get it off.
Thanks,

On the bottom edge should be, either, two slots that you stick a flat screw
driver in and release the front, or two screws that you turn to release the
front.

Christian McArdle December 20th 04 04:31 PM

I would be grateful if anyone could point me to the right
way to get it off.

I had exactly that model. I seem to recall some difficulties working out the
securing mechanism, so I removed it with a lump hammer. Unfortunately, I
can't remember the "correct" way to remove them, although it was obvious at
the time from the remaining pieces.

However, you should note that it isn't a thermostat, but a central heating
programmer. You might also want to do some sort of fault finding
investigation, rather than just replacing components randomly.

Christian.

Ed Sirett December 20th 04 04:34 PM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:12:05 +0000, Phil McCavity wrote:

http://s04.imagehost.org/1288/Honeywell.JPG

My radiator heating will only start when put to continuous
if the water heating is put on continuous as well, so I
presume that the thermostat is faulty ( could there be
another cause?). Ther are only two wires going into
a hole on the other side of the wall so the thermostat
must come off from the front. I would be grateful if
anyone could point me to the right way to get it off.
Thanks,

Look for some small screws underneath, they slacken then the whole thing
rotates around the top edge disconnecting from the backplate.
This is not a themostat it is a timer/programmer.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Dave Plowman (News) December 20th 04 07:31 PM

In article ,
Phil McCavity wrote:
Ther are only two wires going into
a hole on the other side of the wall so the thermostat
must come off from the front. I would be grateful if
anyone could point me to the right way to get it off.

If you look underneath on the right, you'll see a tab the same colour as
the front. Push this up with a screwdriver, and hinge the light coloured
front upward.

However, it's a programmer, not a thermostat. And if the lights work as
normal and you can hear the relays click if you toggle the buttons to
alter the state, I'd say the problem is likely elsewhere.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Sorry about the terminology, and thanks for the replies, I have done it now.