DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   High cap gutters with (apparently) low cap downpipes?? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/82177-high-cap-gutters-apparently-low-cap-downpipes.html)

Richard December 18th 04 06:09 PM

High cap gutters with (apparently) low cap downpipes??

Wandered into Wickes to buy a length of their 125mm 'high capacity'
gutter. No problem with that until I looked for a length of suitably
large downpipe. The high cap downpieces or whatever they are called fit
the same downpipes as the 112 mm low cap gutters, i.e. about 50mm
diameter at a guess. Is this right?

This might not be a problem but I intend draining the entire rear roof
area of my house via a single downpipe.

Even the operative in Wickes suggested that it was a little odd having
only one, small diameter, downpipe and that I should seek advice.

Ta

Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info

Sam December 18th 04 07:29 PM

Wandered into Wickes to buy a length of their 125mm 'high capacity'
gutter. No problem with that until I looked for a length of suitably
large downpipe. The high cap downpieces or whatever they are called fit
the same downpipes as the 112 mm low cap gutters, i.e. about 50mm diameter
at a guess. Is this right?

This might not be a problem but I intend draining the entire rear roof
area of my house via a single downpipe.

Even the operative in Wickes suggested that it was a little odd having
only one, small diameter, downpipe and that I should seek advice.

Well I guess the point is by it's very nature - being an enclosed tube -
down pipe can't overflow whereas guttering can. And guttering has a very
shallow angle whereas downpipe is at 90 dgrees from the horizontal and
therefore clears a lot quicker. I suppose the idea of the high capacity
guttering is that it won't will fill in a downpour long enough that
overspill doesn't occur until the down pipe can clear the water. Are there
any fluid dynamics bods in the group?

Sam

[email protected] December 18th 04 09:29 PM

Sam wrote:
Wandered into Wickes to buy a length of their 125mm 'high capacity'
gutter. No problem with that until I looked for a length of

suitably
large downpipe. The high cap downpieces or whatever they are

called fit
the same downpipes as the 112 mm low cap gutters, i.e. about 50mm

diameter
at a guess. Is this right?

This might not be a problem but I intend draining the entire rear

roof
area of my house via a single downpipe.

Even the operative in Wickes suggested that it was a little odd

having
only one, small diameter, downpipe and that I should seek advice.

Try:
http://www.geberit.co.uk/gb/Webgbnew...rod-Rain-Gra-1
They also have a calculator for roof area and water flow dispersal and
other techie stuff.

Richard December 19th 04 12:10 PM

wrote:

Try:
http://www.geberit.co.uk/gb/Webgbnew...rod-Rain-Gra-1
They also have a calculator for roof area and water flow dispersal and
other techie stuff.

Thanks for the link and apologies for being particularly dense (it is
Sunday tho'); where do I find the calculator bit?

TIA Richard

[email protected] December 19th 04 07:45 PM

Richard wrote:
wrote:

Try:
http://www.geberit.co.uk/gb/Webgbnew...rod-Rain-Gra-1
They also have a calculator for roof area and water flow dispersal

and
other techie stuff.

Thanks for the link and apologies for being particularly dense (it is

Sunday tho'); where do I find the calculator bit?

TIA Richard

--
Real email address is RJS at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info

If you go to downloads click on gerberit terrain rainwater systems
(brings up a pdf file) page 13 of that.