Old December 16th 04, 08:07 AM
Alex \(YMG\)

Default Min. radius bend in 22mm pipe

Hi,

Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can
expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90 degrees,
with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable formers)?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Old December 16th 04, 10:03 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

Alex \(YMG\) wrote:
Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can
expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90
degrees, with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable
formers)?

You'd have to explain this - all the benders I've seen have a fixed
former, and that defines the radius.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 16th 04, 12:41 PM
BigWallop

"Alex (YMG)" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can
expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90 degrees,
with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable formers)?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

If you need a tighter bend on the pipe than the benders form gives, try
using a 90 degree elbow fitting.

Old December 16th 04, 03:07 PM
Alex \(YMG\)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Alex \(YMG\) wrote:
Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can
expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90
degrees, with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable
formers)?

You'd have to explain this - all the benders I've seen have a fixed
former, and that defines the radius.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sorry my mistake - I'm probably using the wrong terminology.. I meant the
bender has adjustable plates to stop the pipe creasing on the inside of the
bend - the bender is not here hence I'm not sure what the actual measurement
of the bend is.

My reason for asking is I've got a certain space in which the bent pipe has
to fit, and it's a bit of a trek to go and get the pipe bender - so if it
can't bend tight enough, I'll just use a 90 degree elbow, or two 45s.

So to rephrase - what's the usual radius of bend done on a 22mm pipe bender?

Thanks again!

Alex

Old December 16th 04, 03:21 PM
John Rumm

Alex (YMG) wrote:

Hi,

Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can
expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90 degrees,
with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable formers)?

With a standard pipe bender, 4" or 100mm

See here for full details:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/Pipe%20Bending%20(BillP).pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Old December 16th 04, 03:34 PM
Alex \(YMG\)

"John Rumm" wrote in message

With a standard pipe bender, 4" or 100mm

See here for full details:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/Pipe%20Bending%20(BillP).pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Ahh John, thanks I now even remember participating in the thread last
time that pdf was mentioned. Must do something about my memory (too young to
be going senile already).

Thanks again

Alex

Old December 16th 04, 09:55 PM
Rick Hughes

Alex \(YMG\) wrote:
Simple question I know, but - what's the minimum radius in which I can
expect to be able to bend a 22mm half hard copper pipe through 90
degrees, with a reasonable quality pipe bender (it has adjustable
formers)?

You'd have to explain this - all the benders I've seen have a fixed
former, and that defines the radius.

What is wrong with a spring and using your knee ?

If you anneal the copper first it will be easier .... but if you are trying
to go tighter than 90 degrees this can cause a lot of resistance

Old December 16th 04, 10:54 PM
Ed Sirett

Alex \(YMG\) wrote:
[...]

100mm radius (IIRC this is to the centre line of the pipe but I may be
wrong).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk

Old December 17th 04, 09:32 AM
Dave

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
.... snipped

If you don't anneal table x it will crinkle with a spring. Really, it's
far better to use a decent bender. They're not *that* expensive.

Any suggestions for where to buy a "decent" bender and how to recognise
whether it's decent or not (features or type?)

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)
Old December 17th 04, 11:50 AM
Christian McArdle

What is wrong with a spring and using your knee ?

I've not been successful with a spring. The pipe snaps and the spring gets
trapped. I didn't bother attempting to retrieve it. The bend is a dream in
comparison. Nice accurate and smooth bends.

Maybe the springs worked better in the 1970s when the copper was thinner and
softer.

Christian.