DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Left handed tape measures (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/81202-re-left-handed-tape-measures.html)

Harvey Van Sickle December 11th 04 02:26 PM

Left handed tape measures

On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Anything Left Handed does one (I don't know if this link will work, but
you can get there by typing "tape measure" in the product search box on
the front page of the site.)

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/cgi-
bin/ss000002.pl?SS=tape+measure&PR=-1&ACTION.x=13&ACTION.y=7&TB=A&SHOP=

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Frank Erskine December 11th 04 04:34 PM

On 11 Dec 2004 14:20:53 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Actually it makes sense for a right-handed person to hold a tape
measure in their left hand, so that they can mark off using the pencil
in their right hand.

--
Frank Erskine

Set Square December 11th 04 05:58 PM

Huge wrote:

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Whichever handed you are, are there are times when you need to measure from
the RHS of an object, and times when you need to measure from the LHS.

So you really need *two* tape measures - one each way round in order always
to be able to read it the right way up.

Frankly, if I did this, I'd never have the required one to hand - so I
settle for the numbers being the wrong way up 50% of the time!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Harvey Van Sickle December 11th 04 06:20 PM

On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

Harvey Van Sickle writes:
On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal
tape measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Anything Left Handed does one (I don't know if this link will
work, but you can get there by typing "tape measure" in the
product search box on the front page of the site.)

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/cgi-
bin/ss000002.pl?SS=tape+measure&PR=-1&ACTION.x=13&ACTION.y=7&TB=A&
SHOP=

Thank you. I've ordered one of those.

It's a good shop -- my wife's left-handed, and I can usually find some
gizmo for her in there.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Paul Mc Cann December 11th 04 07:16 PM

In article , says...
No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Do what I did years ago. Switch to metric only tapes, they can be read
from either side. Some have the dimension number printed across the
tape. Very useful
--
Paul Mc Cann

Phil December 11th 04 07:22 PM

Whichever handed you are, are there are times when you need to measure
from
the RHS of an object, and times when you need to measure from the LHS.

So you really need *two* tape measures - one each way round in order
always
to be able to read it the right way up.

Frankly, if I did this, I'd never have the required one to hand - so I
settle for the numbers being the wrong way up 50% of the time!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

It's usually when you're measuring into a particularly awkward that you need
the left handed one. I have a right handed metre rule and a left handed
one, but what you really need is a combination. Instead of having inches
along one edge and centimetres along the other you need a left hand measure
on one edge and right hand along the other.

Phil

Tony Bryer December 11th 04 07:42 PM

In article , Paul Mc
Cann wrote:
Do what I did years ago. Switch to metric only tapes, they can
be read from either side. Some have the dimension number printed
across the tape. Very useful

Or if you are of a more traditional disposition get someone
visiting the USA to bring you back an imperial only tape - as I
did for a friend some years back: I think I've previously
recounted the tale of him being pulled for shoplifting said tape
in Wickes, and the embarrassment of store detective when asked to
examine the markings.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Andy Hall December 11th 04 09:28 PM

On 11 Dec 2004 14:20:53 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

At least it avoids being called a "right hander" IYSWIM :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Set Square December 11th 04 09:54 PM

Phil wrote:

It's usually when you're measuring into a particularly awkward that
you need the left handed one. I have a right handed metre rule and a
left handed one, but what you really need is a combination. Instead
of having inches along one edge and centimetres along the other you
need a left hand measure on one edge and right hand along the other.

Phil

You mean both at the same time on the same tape - now there's a good idea!

Does anyone make them?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm December 12th 04 01:23 AM

Set Square wrote:

You mean both at the same time on the same tape - now there's a good idea!

Does anyone make them?

Many American tapes - marked in inches on both edges...

--
Cheers,

John.

Alex \(YMG\) December 12th 04 04:51 PM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Set Square wrote:

You mean both at the same time on the same tape - now there's a good
idea!

Does anyone make them?

Many American tapes - marked in inches on both edges...

--
Cheers,

John.

I remember a steel tape measure I was using (had been purchased from York
Survey Supplies I think) had metric markings only, with the numbers only
facing in one direction, but the lines extending right the way across the
tape this was quite useful.

Alex

bof December 12th 04 04:58 PM

In message , Harvey Van Sickle
writes
On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Anything Left Handed does one (I don't know if this link will work, but
you can get there by typing "tape measure" in the product search box on
the front page of the site.)

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/cgi-
bin/ss000002.pl?SS=tape+measure&PR=-1&ACTION.x=13&ACTION.y=7&TB=A&SHOP=

Having seen that I now realise I use a tape measure left handed, and
mark with pencil in the right hand, never consciously noticed the
numbers being upside down.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

bof December 12th 04 05:00 PM

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On 11 Dec 2004 14:20:53 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Actually it makes sense for a right-handed person to hold a tape
measure in their left hand, so that they can mark off using the pencil
in their right hand.

Ah . . . just posted almost exactly that

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Harvey Van Sickle December 12th 04 05:03 PM

On 12 Dec 2004, bof wrote

In message , Harvey Van
Sickle
writes
On 11 Dec 2004, Huge wrote

No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal
tape measure upside down. Anyone sell ones the other way up?

(I'm right handed, but do some things left handed; shoot, play
snooker and hold a tape measure...)

Anything Left Handed does one (I don't know if this link will
work, but you can get there by typing "tape measure" in the
product search box on the front page of the site.)

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/cgi-
bin/ss000002.pl?SS=tape+measure&PR=-1&ACTION.x=13&ACTION.y=7&TB=A&
SHOP=

Having seen that I now realise I use a tape measure left handed,
and mark with pencil in the right hand, never consciously noticed
the numbers being upside down.

I found one site which, for that reason, touts these ones as "right-
handed" tape measures -- making the point that the "normal" ones are
left-handed.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

raden December 12th 04 11:17 PM

In message , Huge
writes
No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down.

When you're tired of doing that, you're tired of life

Are you just trying to wind everyone up ?

--
geoff

Lurch December 13th 04 01:26 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:23:23 +0000, John Rumm
strung together this:

Many American tapes -

Looking good, thinking of getting one from the US now.

marked in inches on both edges...

Oh yes, forgot about that, don't think I'll bother now.
--

SJW

Stephen Gower December 13th 04 01:22 PM

Lurch wrote:
John Rumm strung together this:

Many American tapes -

Looking good, thinking of getting one from the US now.

marked in inches on both edges...

Oh yes, forgot about that, don't think I'll bother now.

Metric-only tapes are available from the continent, but this comes
up so often around here that I think I might be being *whoosh*ed.
--
Selah

raden December 14th 04 01:11 AM

In message , Huge
writes
raden writes:
In message , Huge
writes
No, not a joke. I'm tired of reading the markings on my metal tape
measure upside down.

When you're tired of doing that, you're tired of life

Are you just trying to wind everyone up ?

*grin*

Nope.

What you need, what you really, really need is a pair of glasses which
inverts everything

--
geoff

Owain December 14th 04 12:59 PM

"raden" wrote
| What you need, what you really, really need is a pair of glasses
| which inverts everything

Bottle of whisky does that for me. Doesn't improve the accuracy of
measuring though.

Owain

raden December 14th 04 10:16 PM

In message , Owain
writes
"raden" wrote
| What you need, what you really, really need is a pair of glasses
| which inverts everything

Bottle of whisky does that for me. Doesn't improve the accuracy of
measuring though.

Owain

Who ever mentioned accuracy ?

--