DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Back Boxes in Thermolites (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/80569-back-boxes-thermolites.html)

[email protected] December 7th 04 05:00 PM

Back Boxes in Thermolites

Hello All

I need to move a double electric socket about 2 ft. The only problem I
foresee is that the area where I want to move the back box too is
thermolite bricks which have been laid to block up a door way. The
block work is not particularly solid due to the difficuly in laying
these things in a small doorway and my crap brick laying skills. I'm
worried too much hacking will upset them. What is the best way to fit
this back box?

Any advice for this job appreciated as usual
Thanks in advance!

Richard

Christian McArdle December 7th 04 05:23 PM

I need to move a double electric socket about 2 ft. The only problem I
foresee is that the area where I want to move the back box too is
thermolite bricks which have been laid to block up a door way.

Thermalite is so light and soft, you could dig it the chase with a teaspoon.
I would probably use a large drill bit, a just drill holes in a grid pattern
to the correct depth and vacuum out the results. If doing this causes the
blocks to shift, then they need to be relaid anyway.

Christian.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk December 7th 04 05:23 PM

wrote:
Hello All

I need to move a double electric socket about 2 ft. The only problem I
foresee is that the area where I want to move the back box too is
thermolite bricks which have been laid to block up a door way. The
block work is not particularly solid due to the difficuly in laying
these things in a small doorway and my crap brick laying skills. I'm
worried too much hacking will upset them. What is the best way to fit
this back box?

Any advice for this job appreciated as usual
Thanks in advance!

Surely if it falls down when you try moving the box the wall needed
re-building anyway.

But, if you drill lots of small holes to the depth of the box,
disturbance would be minimal anyway (at a guess)

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Lurch December 7th 04 05:24 PM

On 7 Dec 2004 09:00:31 -0800, strung together
this:

Any advice for this job appreciated as usual
Thanks in advance!

Have you ever tried knocking a box in thermalite? You could scratch it
out with your fingernail.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

simon beer December 7th 04 05:29 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello All

I need to move a double electric socket about 2 ft. The only problem I
foresee is that the area where I want to move the back box too is
thermolite bricks which have been laid to block up a door way. The
block work is not particularly solid due to the difficuly in laying
these things in a small doorway and my crap brick laying skills. I'm
worried too much hacking will upset them. What is the best way to fit
this back box?

Any advice for this job appreciated as usual
Thanks in advance!

Richard

Should have thought you could hack these blocks out with a Stanley knife
once you removed the outer coat of plaster, or an old chisel.

Rick Dipper December 7th 04 08:13 PM

On 7 Dec 2004 09:00:31 -0800, wrote:

Hello All

I need to move a double electric socket about 2 ft. The only problem I
foresee is that the area where I want to move the back box too is
thermolite bricks which have been laid to block up a door way. The
block work is not particularly solid due to the difficuly in laying
these things in a small doorway and my crap brick laying skills. I'm
worried too much hacking will upset them. What is the best way to fit
this back box?

Any advice for this job appreciated as usual
Thanks in advance!

Richard

A screwdriver should do the trick, just dig away like you were doing a
jail break ...... It won't take long

Rick

Colin Wilson December 7th 04 10:30 PM

What is the best way to fit this back box?

Expanding foam will probably get you a better grip in this crap than
trying to use screws :-} (i`ve had the same problem before)

Andrew Gabriel December 7th 04 11:19 PM

In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:
What is the best way to fit this back box?

Expanding foam will probably get you a better grip in this crap than
trying to use screws :-} (i`ve had the same problem before)

Plaster or pollyfilla works well too, much better than screws.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk December 7th 04 11:39 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Plaster or pollyfilla works well too, much better than screws.

What about "No-Nails" ?
I found it great to squirt through the screw holes to fill up any gaps
behind the box while giving that extra Grab.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

[email protected] December 10th 04 01:26 PM

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Plaster or pollyfilla works well too, much better than screws.

What about "No-Nails" ?
I found it great to squirt through the screw holes to fill up any

gaps
behind the box while giving that extra Grab.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - Best Gym Equipment & Bodybuilding Supplements

UK.
http://trade-price-supplements.co.uk - TRADE PRICED SUPPLEMENTS for