DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Automatic Garage Door Openers (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/7870-automatic-garage-door-openers.html)

Han Chung April 14th 04 04:29 AM

Automatic Garage Door Openers

Hi,

I have a single car garage about two years old that slides along a
track to open. When open, it looks something like this:

http://home.bigblue.net.au/jaicome/I1.jpg

It's not a roller door, the door is in 4 pieces. The tracks are on
both sides of the garage door. The problem is that every month or so,
the wheel of the garage door will come off the track on one side.

Will this cause big problems if I were to have an automatic door
opener installed?

I've never looked closely at how a garage door opener works - does it
power the door until fully open, and when closing, power the door all
the way until it is fully closed?

Han.

John April 14th 04 07:28 AM

Automatic Garage Door Openers

You need to have it all working smoothly otherwise you will get major (power
driven) problems,

Is it all lubricated? Are any rollers seized or damaged, Is the track
properly adjusted - how does it jump out?? - does one side stick?

--

Regards

John

"Han Chung" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a single car garage about two years old that slides along a
track to open. When open, it looks something like this:

http://home.bigblue.net.au/jaicome/I1.jpg

It's not a roller door, the door is in 4 pieces. The tracks are on
both sides of the garage door. The problem is that every month or so,
the wheel of the garage door will come off the track on one side.

Will this cause big problems if I were to have an automatic door
opener installed?

I've never looked closely at how a garage door opener works - does it
power the door until fully open, and when closing, power the door all
the way until it is fully closed?

Han.

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

PoP April 14th 04 07:43 AM

Automatic Garage Door Openers

On 13 Apr 2004 20:29:22 -0700, (Han Chung)
wrote:

Will this cause big problems if I were to have an automatic door
opener installed?

Do not, I repeat do not, put in an automatic garage door opener
without having a fully working door assembly. You will have tears if
you do because if the door mechanism misbehaves as the door is being
opened or closed the motor will continue piling on the pressure. You
could end up with a bent door or worse.

I fitting an automatic garage door opener some months back. It's been
successful, but the door mechanism was in good shape before I started.

If you aren't sure about what the problem is I would suggest a visit
to a garage door company showroom where you can express an interest in
automatic garage door closers, and then advise of the problem you've
got. If you are lucky the company will have a resident expert (and I'm
not talking about the straight-out-of-sales-school kid) who has worked
on garage doors and who would be able to offer you the sort of advice
you need to ensure this is fixed properly.

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk

Han Chung April 15th 04 01:17 AM

"John" john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote in message ...

Is it all lubricated? Are any rollers seized or damaged, Is the track
properly adjusted - how does it jump out?? - does one side stick?

I'm not quite sure why it jumps out. The tracks do not appear to be
lubricated. It's always the same side that comes out, and the other
side always sticks on the track. Whatever it is, it's been very
poorly installed.

Han.

Han Chung April 15th 04 01:19 AM

PoP wrote in message . ..

Do not, I repeat do not, put in an automatic garage door opener
without having a fully working door assembly. You will have tears if
you do because if the door mechanism misbehaves as the door is being
opened or closed the motor will continue piling on the pressure. You
could end up with a bent door or worse.

Thanks for the advice - looks like I'll need to get the door sorted
out before trying to automate it.

Cheers,

Han.