Keith Moore

Default Balancing radiators

I'm a newbie to the group and I have read the FAq on how to balance a
heating system.

My question is should the inlet or outlet valve on a radiator be used
as the LSV?

All of the radiators in the house we have had extended were without
the caps described in the FAQ and all valves were fully open. This
means that the radiator at the far end of the house, which I assume is
last in the circuit, never gets more than luke warm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith.
Set Square

Keith Moore wrote:

I'm a newbie to the group and I have read the FAq on how to balance a
heating system.

My question is should the inlet or outlet valve on a radiator be used
as the LSV?

Given a free choice, I would use an LSV on the outlet - but it doesn't
really matter.

All you are doing by partially closing the LSV is adding some artificial
restriction to the flow through that rad, and it doesn't really matter where
you put it.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Keith Moore wrote:
My question is should the inlet or outlet valve on a radiator be used
as the LSV?

It really doesn't matter - although on some it might make a slight
difference to noise.

However, if you intend fitting TRVs at some point which *usually* go on
the input, it might make sense to key down the output valves and retain
these settings.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Phil Addison

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:42:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Keith Moore wrote:
My question is should the inlet or outlet valve on a radiator be used
as the LSV?

They should simply be fitted to the end of the rad which is most
accessible for the user.

It really doesn't matter - although on some it might make a slight
difference to noise.

Although many modern ones are bi-directional (can be put on flow or
return) there are still some around with an arrow indicating the flow
direction that must be followed. Putting these on the wrong way end can
cause water hammer and/or lead to premature failure of the valve. If you
have a directional one that is the wrong way for the end you want to fit
it, you can reverse this by having the control head horizontal instead
of vertical, but it is not ideal for aesthetic reasons.

However, if you intend fitting TRVs at some point which *usually* go on
the input, it might make sense to key down the output valves and retain
these settings.

???

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:05:00 +0000, Phil Addison wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:42:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Keith Moore wrote:
My question is should the inlet or outlet valve on a radiator be used
as the LSV?

They should simply be fitted to the end of the rad which is most
accessible for the user.

I think you meant to say the LSV should be fitted to the end that is
_less_ convenient so that the TRV (or other control valve) is at the _more_
convenient end?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
However, if you intend fitting TRVs at some point which *usually* go on
the input, it might make sense to key down the output valves and retain
these settings.

???

As I read the post, the OP doesn't have TRVs, but simply two LSVs. Are
these ever directional?

--
*He who laughs last has just realised the joke.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Phil Addison

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:29:04 +0000, "Ed Sirett"
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:05:00 +0000, Phil Addison wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:42:23 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Keith Moore wrote:
My question is should the inlet or outlet valve on a radiator be used
as the LSV?

They should simply be fitted to the end of the rad which is most
accessible for the user.

I think you meant to say the LSV should be fitted to the end that is
_less_ convenient so that the TRV (or other control valve) is at the _more_
convenient end?

Exactly - well spotted.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Phil Addison

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:40:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
However, if you intend fitting TRVs at some point which *usually* go on
the input, it might make sense to key down the output valves and retain
these settings.

As I read the post, the OP doesn't have TRVs, but simply two LSVs. Are
these ever directional?

No! :-)

I put my comment in the wrong place - it was supposed to be under your's
referring to the TRV's you mentioned.

???

The "???" was because I'm not sure what you mean by "key down the output
valves and retain these settings."

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
???

The "???" was because I'm not sure what you mean by "key down the output
valves and retain these settings."

Some think that when you fit TRVs, there's no need to balance a system, so
have the lockshield valve fully open. There's some truth in this in that
all rads will probably get hot eventually, but it might be that the last
in the chain does so very much later than the rest.

So my comment meant that if you use the LSV which is set correctly on a
balanced system as the one you keep when fitting TRVs, you'll save some
work.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Phil Addison

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:16:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
???

The "???" was because I'm not sure what you mean by "key down the output
valves and retain these settings."

Some think that when you fit TRVs, there's no need to balance a system, so
have the lockshield valve fully open. There's some truth in this in that
all rads will probably get hot eventually, but it might be that the last
in the chain does so very much later than the rest.

I would not credit it with having *any* truth. Its just a bodged system
which the TRVs *partially* (only partially) correct for. They might also
suffer a reduced life because some of them will have to throttle the
full pump pressure instead of the reduced pressure in a pressure
equalised (balanced) system.

So my comment meant that if you use the LSV which is set correctly on a
balanced system as the one you keep when fitting TRVs, you'll save some
work.

OK, got you. You could also swap the "already balanced" LSV to the other
end if you want to put the TRV where the LSV is, or just count its turns
and set the other end to that valve.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
So my comment meant that if you use the LSV which is set correctly on a
balanced system as the one you keep when fitting TRVs, you'll save some
work.

OK, got you. You could also swap the "already balanced" LSV to the other
end if you want to put the TRV where the LSV is, or just count its turns
and set the other end to that valve.

Absolutely. I was just trying to give a small tip to minimise future work.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Phil Addison

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:10:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
So my comment meant that if you use the LSV which is set correctly on a
balanced system as the one you keep when fitting TRVs, you'll save some
work.

OK, got you. You could also swap the "already balanced" LSV to the other
end if you want to put the TRV where the LSV is, or just count its turns
and set the other end to that valve.

Absolutely. I was just trying to give a small tip to minimise future work.

Yes. that's appreciated - I'm saving tips up for an update to the
balancing FAQ. Any other suggestions for improving it, from anyone, are
welcome.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

balancing radiators - is my boiler too small? Simon Langford UK diy 30 October 12th 04 04:48 PM
Balancing radiators AK UK diy 25 September 25th 04 08:51 PM
BALANCING radiators - Spelt right this time! Angela UK diy 12 December 3rd 03 10:39 PM
top floor radiators are hot on bottom, cold on top kjpro Home Repair 4 November 16th 03 02:34 PM