DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cold radiators (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/78436-cold-radiators.html)

Rob Lloyd November 23rd 04 08:06 PM

Cold radiators

In a flat - all our radiators are hot at the top and cold in the
middle and the bottom.

I have been told this is not a trapped air problem - as they would be
cold at the top

We have a non combi boiler

Can anyone help come up with any ideas before I call an expensive
plumber

ie - how to flush radiators, or balance them????!!

Thanks

Rob

Dave Jones November 23rd 04 09:08 PM

"Rob Lloyd" wrote in message
om...
In a flat - all our radiators are hot at the top and cold in the
middle and the bottom.

I have been told this is not a trapped air problem - as they would be
cold at the top

We have a non combi boiler

Can anyone help come up with any ideas before I call an expensive
plumber

ie - how to flush radiators, or balance them????!!

Thanks

Rob

Pour this ( http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=81717 ) or
something similar into header tank and leave for 2 weeks, radiators should
start working slowly.

empty system and refill could also add
http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...earchstr=42011 for peace of
mind

Total cost £15, plumbers power flush depending on plumber £80 - £150

If it's really bad as you say all the rads are cold at the bottom, then
would drain the system, remove all rads wash out with hose pipe, replace
then add system cleaner for a week, drain and refill.

Phil Addison November 30th 04 09:47 AM

On 23 Nov 2004 12:06:25 -0800, (Rob Lloyd) wrote:

In a flat - all our radiators are hot at the top and cold in the
middle and the bottom.

I have been told this is not a trapped air problem - as they would be
cold at the top

We have a non combi boiler

Can anyone help come up with any ideas before I call an expensive
plumber

ie - how to flush radiators, or balance them????!!

Probably not sludge if the middle is cold - that would be a hell of a
lot of sludge. Check if you have flow by feeling both pipes which should
be both hot. If not, a lot more info is needed about your system to give
advice. See FAQ for general CH info and balancing info - if that is what
the problem is.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/