DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Unoccupied house: locating the owner (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/78242-unoccupied-house-locating-owner.html)

bruce phipps November 22nd 04 04:42 PM

Unoccupied house: locating the owner

How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

Anyway I can do a web search for council tax, land registry, phone book entry etc.

Bruce

R Taylor November 22nd 04 04:50 PM

bruce phipps wrote:
How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

land registry, £4 per search.

Anyway I can do a web search for council tax, land registry, phone book entry etc.

Bruce

not web but UKInfo 2004 may help. however, it costs an arm and a leg.

RT

Andy Hall November 22nd 04 04:55 PM

On 22 Nov 2004 08:42:59 -0800, (bruce phipps)
wrote:

How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

Anyway I can do a web search for council tax, land registry, phone book entry etc.

Bruce

You can do a non-legally-admissible search on the Land Registry web
site for £2

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall November 22nd 04 05:34 PM

wrote:

How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

One other thing on the Land Registry site.

I've found that it can take a while (several weeks) to be updated,
presumably as a result of administrative delays.and also I have found
errors relating to charges against the property.

So, depending on the reason that you need the information, you need to
be careful.

R Taylor November 22nd 04 05:43 PM

wrote:

How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

One other thing on the Land Registry site.

I've found that it can take a while (several weeks) to be updated,
presumably as a result of administrative delays.and also I have found
errors relating to charges against the property.

postal / via form searches are more accurate, possibly why it costs £4 ?

Anyway I can do a web search for council tax

care to share ?

RT

Andy Hall November 22nd 04 05:54 PM

wrote:

How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

One other thing on the Land Registry site.

I've found that it can take a while (several weeks) to be updated,
presumably as a result of administrative delays.and also I have found
errors relating to charges against the property.

postal / via form searches are more accurate, possibly why it costs £4 ?

Probably. I suspect that all that they do on a form search is to
check the pending entries as well as what is already there.

Bobby Bewl ® November 22nd 04 05:57 PM

wrote:

How can I find out who owns an unoccupied house near me?
I know the post code.

One other thing on the Land Registry site.

I've found that it can take a while (several weeks) to be updated,
presumably as a result of administrative delays.and also I have found
errors relating to charges against the property.

So, depending on the reason that you need the information, you need to
be careful

Good advice.

There is nor time limit in which to register the change of ownership of land
(which includes property). So the delay is usually due to solicitors
dealing with legal problems or lenders taking their time to discharge the
vendors mortgage. You can look at the date in front of the propritors name
in the B Proprietorship Register to see when they went on the register. If
it is an old date then be careful as the property could have been
transferred but the Land Registry has not been informed.

Fees are £4 by post and the turn round is usually done in 24 hours and £2 on
the internet.

Bobby

Anna Kettle November 22nd 04 06:35 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:50:03 GMT, "R Taylor"
wrote:

not web but UKInfo 2004 may help. however, it costs an arm and a leg.

Oh no it doesn't. Free with December's Computer Shopper. At least I
got 2002 and 2003 that way - I haven't yet gone looking for 2004

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Lobster November 23rd 04 05:50 PM

http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/index.htm presumably