alan kennedy

Default 1930s airing cupboard - asbestos or wood fibreboard lining?

I'm about to remove our airing cupboard in a 1930s detached house. I think
it's original and it seems to be lined with some sort of brown wood
fibreboard type material. I think it's probably made entirely out of wood
fibres but is anyone aware of any asbestos containing wood fibreboard
materials which were used in this way. Having come across asbestos a few
times in our last house during a few DIY tasks I'm being slightly cautious
on this one. Thanks for any advice on this.

Alan

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:04:52 -0000, "alan kennedy"
wrote:

I'm about to remove our airing cupboard in a 1930s detached house. I think
it's original and it seems to be lined with some sort of brown wood
fibreboard type material.

Try shoving a thumbnail in it. If it's soft enough, it's probably
Sundeala and no problem. If it's too hard and it's 1930s, asbestos is
a reasonable suspicion.

However unless you're planning to saw it up, there is no reason that
removing it carefully need generate a dust hazard. Dispose of as
asbestos cement, which generally means the council tip will take it
happily, for free, and in a specific skip not the geenral waste stream
(YMMV, depending on local rules)

--
Smert' spamionam
N. Thornton

"alan kennedy" wrote in message ...
I'm about to remove our airing cupboard in a 1930s detached house. I think
it's original and it seems to be lined with some sort of brown wood
fibreboard type material. I think it's probably made entirely out of wood
fibres but is anyone aware of any asbestos containing wood fibreboard
materials which were used in this way. Having come across asbestos a few
times in our last house during a few DIY tasks I'm being slightly cautious
on this one. Thanks for any advice on this.

Alan

what is called asbestos is in fact cement board, reinforced with a
small percentage of asbestos fibres. Not hard to distinguish from wood
products.

NT