DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toilet hidden system tank. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/775-re-toilet-hidden-system-tank.html)

Steve July 31st 03 07:46 PM

Toilet hidden system tank.

wrote:
I am looking at fitting a new toilet with a hidden system (tank) .Some
call it "back to wall".I have been told they only do a plastic tank
for this type - I prefer to have ceramic/porcelain .Do they do this
type in other than plastic?
Is plastic any good?
Thanks for any pointers.

The tank is hidden, and can't get knocked, bashed and commented on. The
plastic ones don't tend to get condensation dripping off them either.

Being plastic, you can get much thinner walls on the tank rthan in pot,
and they take up much less room.

Why do you want a pot one ?

Toby July 31st 03 08:38 PM

Toilet hidden system tank.

wrote:
The wall of the plastic type "move" bend with a slight touch. Full of
water will they have the guts to stay in place?
Will they last like a pot one would/does?

Dedicated plastic hidden tanks tend to be of a slightly strange appearance.
The mouldings used provide extra rigidity and ease of mounting at the
expense of a 'clean' external line. The flush lever will often be supplied
separatly, or you could choose a pneumatically operated valve. A normal
slimline cistern may be slightly slimmer (hardly surprising) if space is
really tight.
They will last indefinately, even if you do choose to flex the side wall in
and out. The weight of water will not distort the shape. I can't see the
need to have a hidden ceramic cistern.

Toby.

Simon Stroud July 31st 03 09:34 PM

Toilet hidden system tank.

wrote in message
The wall of the plastic type "move" bend with a slight touch. Full of
water will they have the guts to stay in place?
Will they last like a pot one would/does?

I have just put one of these in inside some "Shades" bathroom units.

It was a "Thomas Dudley" concealed cistern with a pneumatic-operated valve.

The cistern is made of slightly bendy plastic. However it has four mounting
holes along the back and along the front near the top edge. I juse used 4
screws in the back. I briefly considered putting a bit of wood along the
front and screwing through the front edge "backwards" into this as well, but
didn't bother - it seemed plenty sturdy enough with just the 4 screws.

It works very well - the pneumatic valve is particularly fantastic - no
"lifting and syphon" action - it just opens a simple-looking valve and the
contents come flooding out (all over me the first time - I wasn't expecting
such a torrent!).

The only slight problem is that the pneumatic-operated valve has a VERY big
chrome effect button. This only just fitted onto the front panel of the
Shades unit, because SWMBO chose a "panelled" design so there isn't that
much flat front area for mounting BIG buttons.

Regards, Simon.

IMM August 1st 03 12:39 AM

Toilet hidden system tank.

"Toby" wrote in message
The wall of the plastic type "move" bend with a slight touch. Full of
water will they have the guts to stay in place?
Will they last like a pot one would/does?

Dedicated plastic hidden tanks tend to be of a slightly strange

appearance.
The mouldings used provide extra rigidity and ease of mounting at the
expense of a 'clean' external line. The flush lever will often be supplied
separatly, or you could choose a pneumatically operated valve. A normal
slimline cistern may be slightly slimmer (hardly surprising) if space is
really tight.
They will last indefinately, even if you do choose to flex the side wall

in
and out. The weight of water will not distort the shape. I can't see the
need to have a hidden ceramic cistern.

I have one. They have a lid which screws down. This makes the whole tank
pretty rigid.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).