DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Utility room (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/77-utility-room.html)

MGA July 4th 03 12:42 PM

Utility room

Hi all,
I am thinking about building a partition in my garage, which is linked
to the house. The idea is to build a partition of about 3x2 meters, so
we can install the washing machine and a cupboard. I was thinking
about getting someone to do the plumbing, but do the rest myself: wall
partition with a door, raised floor (chipboard) insulated, and
plasterboard for the walls. The existing window would be in this
partition, but the rest of the garage wouldn't have a window now.

I was wondering if I need planning/building permission for this sort
of work?

The house is in Hertfordshire

Cheers

MG

Mike Taylor July 4th 03 03:25 PM

Utility room

It is doubtful if planning would be required but building control certainly
would be if for nothing else the fire prevention requirements from a garage
to the habitable housse would change. Check with your local authority, you
will find them extremely helpful. As I do a lot of my work in Hertfordshire,
I have no problem with them at all