Jan

Default What sort of sander do I need?

For interior decorating preparation (keying gloss paintwork, removing loose
paint, rubbing down emulsion-painted walls, etc.), what type of electric
sander is best?

Should I consider orbital or random orbital? Palm size, one-third sheet or
half sheet? Or a circular abrasive sheet?

I would hope to find something suitable that did not vibrate too much, and
which would let the dust be sucked up a vacuum cleaner attachment. Is it an
advantage to have a sander with variable speed?

Grunff

Jan wrote:

For interior decorating preparation (keying gloss paintwork, removing loose
paint, rubbing down emulsion-painted walls, etc.), what type of electric
sander is best?

Should I consider orbital or random orbital? Palm size, one-third sheet or
half sheet? Or a circular abrasive sheet?

I would hope to find something suitable that did not vibrate too much, and
which would let the dust be sucked up a vacuum cleaner attachment. Is it an
advantage to have a sander with variable speed?

I have several orbital sanders (1x palm, 1x 1/3 sheet, 1x detail), a
belt sander (4") and a (recently purchased) random orbit 125mm disc sander.

The first 3 are relatively useless. Well, maybe useless is the wrong
term - they're very gentle.

The belt sander is superb. It just removes large amounts of material
very quickly. But my current favourite is the random orbit 400W tool. It
combines the power of the belt sander with the ease of use and control
of the orbital sanders. Very nice indeed.

--
Grunff
Mark S.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:31:50 +0100, "Jan"
wrote:

For interior decorating preparation (keying gloss paintwork, removing loose
paint, rubbing down emulsion-painted walls, etc.), what type of electric
sander is best?

Should I consider orbital or random orbital? Palm size, one-third sheet or
half sheet? Or a circular abrasive sheet?

I would hope to find something suitable that did not vibrate too much, and
which would let the dust be sucked up a vacuum cleaner attachment. Is it an
advantage to have a sander with variable speed?

A random orbital Bosch PEX400 or thereabouts. Something with variable
speed, dust extraction disks/filter box and with a bit of price behind
it ie. the cheap sanders are rubbish. ;-)

Mark S.

John Woodhall

wrote:

For interior decorating preparation (keying gloss paintwork, removing

loose
paint, rubbing down emulsion-painted walls, etc.), what type of electric
sander is best?

Should I consider orbital or random orbital? Palm size, one-third sheet

or
half sheet? Or a circular abrasive sheet?

I would hope to find something suitable that did not vibrate too much,

and
which would let the dust be sucked up a vacuum cleaner attachment. Is it

an
advantage to have a sander with variable speed?

A random orbital Bosch PEX400 or thereabouts. Something with variable
speed, dust extraction disks/filter box and with a bit of price behind
it ie. the cheap sanders are rubbish. ;-)

Mark S.

I have the above Bosch and agree its the mutts nutts.

Harry Ziman

wrote:

For interior decorating preparation (keying gloss paintwork, removing

loose
paint, rubbing down emulsion-painted walls, etc.), what type of electric
sander is best?

Should I consider orbital or random orbital? Palm size, one-third sheet

or
half sheet? Or a circular abrasive sheet?

I would hope to find something suitable that did not vibrate too much,

and
which would let the dust be sucked up a vacuum cleaner attachment. Is it

an
advantage to have a sander with variable speed?

A random orbital Bosch PEX400 or thereabouts. Something with variable
speed, dust extraction disks/filter box and with a bit of price behind
it ie. the cheap sanders are rubbish. ;-)

Mark S.

I'm delighted with my cheap sander! I use it all the time and the small size
makes it easy for all sorts of awkward places and it is not tiring to use. I
also have a belt sander for the occasions when I need some real power. They
do different jobs and make a good combination.

Mark S.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:19:41 +0100, "Harry Ziman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Whereas I've two Ferm ones and the Bosch and the Ferm's get left out
of choice. All noise and no results.

Only drawback with the Bosch is the velcro on the baseplate doesn't
last forever especially when you use it a lot.

Mark S.

Jan

Thank you for all the comments. I shall start by trying a Bosch PEX400.

Regards, Jan.