DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing Rayburn Boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/76695-replacing-rayburn-boiler.html)

Paul November 17th 04 08:10 AM

Replacing Rayburn Boiler

Hello,

Fired up the solid fuel Rayburn yesterday, only to find it's raining
inside it :-(((.

I've been quoted some horrendous prices to change the boiler (and
finding someone local to do it hasn't been easy!), varying from £1000
to £1500. Considering a new Heatranger is £3100, unless I diy I wonder
about the economics of it. I think the boiler itself will cost me
about £600.

Is it *that* hard to change the boiler in one of these, does anyone
know, please? I don't know how old the Rayburn is, I would guess 20+,
but it's in reasonable condition otherwise. Probably a Roayale or
Nouvelle model.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.

Andy Hall November 17th 04 09:08 AM

On 17 Nov 2004 00:10:26 -0800, (Paul) wrote:

Hello,

Fired up the solid fuel Rayburn yesterday, only to find it's raining
inside it :-(((.

I've been quoted some horrendous prices to change the boiler (and
finding someone local to do it hasn't been easy!), varying from £1000
to £1500. Considering a new Heatranger is £3100, unless I diy I wonder
about the economics of it. I think the boiler itself will cost me
about £600.

Is it *that* hard to change the boiler in one of these, does anyone
know, please? I don't know how old the Rayburn is, I would guess 20+,
but it's in reasonable condition otherwise. Probably a Roayale or
Nouvelle model.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.

Try contacting Twyford Cookers. They should have new or reclaimed
spares.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

[email protected] November 17th 04 09:49 AM

On 17 Nov 2004 00:10:26 -0800, (Paul) wrote:

Hello,

Fired up the solid fuel Rayburn yesterday, only to find it's raining
inside it :-(((.

I've been quoted some horrendous prices to change the boiler (and
finding someone local to do it hasn't been easy!), varying from £1000
to £1500. Considering a new Heatranger is £3100, unless I diy I wonder
about the economics of it. I think the boiler itself will cost me
about £600.

Is it *that* hard to change the boiler in one of these, does anyone
know, please? I don't know how old the Rayburn is, I would guess 20+,
but it's in reasonable condition otherwise. Probably a Roayale or
Nouvelle model.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.

If you've got enough clearance at the side it's fairly easy. I've
recently changed the boiler on my Royal. On these the boiler is
removeable from the side. Disconnect the pipes, remove the cover plate
and the old boiler should come out with a bit of manipulation.
Unfortunately mine didn't have enough side clearance to get the boiler
out, so I had to move the entire unit!

Aga/Rayburn will sell you a new cast iron boiler for about £300, I
bought a stainless steel replacement from a company in Wales for about
£150. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I found them with google.

Bill

Paul November 18th 04 07:58 AM

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..

Try contacting Twyford Cookers. They should have new or reclaimed
spares.

Thanks Andy - I think I might go with the stainless steel option, but
they will be useful for other bits.

Regards,

Paul.

Paul November 18th 04 08:04 AM

wrote in message ...

If you've got enough clearance at the side it's fairly easy. I've
recently changed the boiler on my Royal. On these the boiler is
removeable from the side. Disconnect the pipes, remove the cover plate
and the old boiler should come out with a bit of manipulation.
Unfortunately mine didn't have enough side clearance to get the boiler
out, so I had to move the entire unit!

Thanks Bill. I won't have any problems with access. In fact I now know
that I have a MF (multi fuel) model. It looks like I need to unscrew
the four chrome caps on the top and then the screws beneath to remove
the top, then the side will slide out. After that, did the boiler then
just come out, or is it held with any other fittings, do you recall
please?

Aga/Rayburn will sell you a new cast iron boiler for about £300, I
bought a stainless steel replacement from a company in Wales for about
£150. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I found them with google.

Goddard Engineering in Wales?

Regards,

Paul.

[email protected] November 18th 04 10:53 PM

On 18 Nov 2004 00:04:38 -0800, (Paul) wrote:

Thanks Bill. I won't have any problems with access. In fact I now know
that I have a MF (multi fuel) model. It looks like I need to unscrew
the four chrome caps on the top and then the screws beneath to remove
the top, then the side will slide out. After that, did the boiler then
just come out, or is it held with any other fittings, do you recall
please?

My boiler had no other fixings. There was some rockwool style
insulation that had to be removed, but after that it was just a case
of persuading it to come out of the access hole at the right angle.

Aga/Rayburn will sell you a new cast iron boiler for about £300, I
bought a stainless steel replacement from a company in Wales for about
£150. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I found them with google.

Goddard Engineering in Wales?

Yes, that's the one.

Bill

Paul November 19th 04 12:41 PM

Thanks Bill.

Regards,

Paul.

Albert Buckley November 13th 17 01:14 PM

Replacing Rayburn Boiler

replying to Paul, Albert Buckley wrote:
Dosent take a lot of work take out by pulling and replace and replace wool
make sure the seal is ok on new or old boiler

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-125023-.htm

Gerwyn December 15th 20 02:01 PM

Replacing Rayburn Boiler

most helpful rayburn related post on the internet and i should know, i think i have read them all. I have also spoken to countless tradesmen and had no joy. Thank you very much for this.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-125023-.htm

Andrew[_22_] December 15th 20 02:37 PM

Replacing Rayburn Boiler

On 15/12/2020 14:01, Gerwyn wrote:
most helpful rayburn related post on the internet and i should know, i
think i have read them all. I have also spoken to countless tradesmen
and had no joy. Thank you very much for this.

If you had read them all, you would know that you are replying to
a 16 year old post.

imogen January 30th 21 04:15 PM

Replacing Rayburn Boiler

We did this about 25 years ago. Perfectly possible with basic DIY skills but the top has to be taken off the MF and it is extremely heavy. The new boiler (in those days) was about £275. Definitely some swearing involved but it was worth doing.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-125023-.htm