DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Correct Grade of Abrasive to Use? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/76653-correct-grade-abrasive-use.html)

BraileTrail November 15th 04 06:38 PM

Correct Grade of Abrasive to Use?

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the correct grade / type / manufacturer of
1/2 sheet abrasive to use with my sander to do things like smooth filler
after filling in holes when I have moved sockets, or preparing a wall
for emulsioning after removing wallpaper? I always seem to end up with
the paper clogged with paint and filler long before it is smooth.
Perhaps I am using too fine a grade (120)? What about the different
types, silicon carbide, aluminium oxide, etc?

Thanks,
BraileTrail

Grunff November 15th 04 07:48 PM

BraileTrail wrote:

I am looking for advice on the correct grade / type / manufacturer of
1/2 sheet abrasive to use with my sander to do things like smooth filler
after filling in holes when I have moved sockets, or preparing a wall
for emulsioning after removing wallpaper? I always seem to end up with
the paper clogged with paint and filler long before it is smooth.
Perhaps I am using too fine a grade (120)? What about the different
types, silicon carbide, aluminium oxide, etc?

Filler is great for clogging paper, whatever grade you use. Using a
perforated sheet with an extractor helps. I tend to use 80 for coarse,
then either 120 or 180 for finishing (sometimes 240 for really smooth).

--
Grunff

N. Thornton November 16th 04 07:39 AM

BraileTrail wrote in message ...
Hi,

I am looking for advice on the correct grade / type / manufacturer of
1/2 sheet abrasive to use with my sander to do things like smooth filler
after filling in holes when I have moved sockets, or preparing a wall
for emulsioning after removing wallpaper? I always seem to end up with
the paper clogged with paint and filler long before it is smooth.
Perhaps I am using too fine a grade (120)? What about the different
types, silicon carbide, aluminium oxide, etc?

Thanks,
BraileTrail

120's far too fine. Your experience confirms that. I used 60 on filled
plaster on an orbital, worked perfectly. To my surprise it didnt clog
either.

NT