DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting a new plaster wall (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/76519-painting-new-plaster-wall.html)

Brian November 10th 04 03:02 PM

Painting a new plaster wall

I have just had one of my walls skim plastered after I erected a stud wall.
This was last Thursday, the wall looked good and I painted an undercoat
yesterday (a cheap trade magnolia with some water added as suggested by the
plasterer).

I have just put on a second coat today (paint seemed dry) but on one small
area of the wall (about 2x5 inches) when I run the roller over it a small
amount of the paint underneath lifts off. I've just spent a good half hour
trying to get this painted but have had to give up in the end with this
patch still bare plaster.

What am I doing wrong?

Andrew Gabriel November 10th 04 04:42 PM

In article ,
"Brian" writes:
I have just had one of my walls skim plastered after I erected a stud wall.
This was last Thursday, the wall looked good and I painted an undercoat
yesterday (a cheap trade magnolia with some water added as suggested by the
plasterer).

I have just put on a second coat today (paint seemed dry) but on one small
area of the wall (about 2x5 inches) when I run the roller over it a small
amount of the paint underneath lifts off. I've just spent a good half hour
trying to get this painted but have had to give up in the end with this
patch still bare plaster.

What am I doing wrong?

Plasterer polished it too much and/or you didn't water down enough.
Sand that bit and recoat.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Simon Hawthorne November 10th 04 08:26 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:02:35 -0000, "Brian"
wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Brian

I am no expert but when I had my kitchen plastered recently, the
plasterer told me to water down some PVA bond and paint that on. I
did, and my cheap emulsion worked a treat...

Simon