gandalf

Default Scaring rabbits

"BigWallop" wrote in message

Ah !!! If it's good eating your after, then the best is the outer braid off
a length of coaxial cable. Make a nice noose from the braid and place it in
the hedgerow, at rabbit head height, and wait. Once the rabbit is caught in
the noose and it struggles to get away, the noose tightens but doesn't
loosen. DA DA !!! One Big Wabbit ready for the pot. Now I'm hungry.

---------
At the very least snares are cruel and unnecessary. They may just be illegal, I
don't know. If they're not - they should be.

The rabbit population has grown to an incredible extent and does cause
considerable damage in the countryside. However, if we must terminate them I
think it right that we do it efficiently. I only shoot them in the head, and
then only in one spot. If I can't take it, or don't think I can achieve the shot
then I don't attempt it.

A snared, slowly strangled, and left to die for 12 hours in a hedgerow, rabbit
is hardly likely to taste better than one killed instantly.

BigWallop

"gandalf" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

[...]

My snared rabbits never stay snared for long. They're usually skinned and
in the pot within an hour. The only reason for the snare is to keep them in
the one spot so you can cut their throats with a very sharp knife.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

gandalf

"BigWallop" wrote in message

My snared rabbits never stay snared for long. They're usually skinned and
in the pot within an hour. The only reason for the snare is to keep them in
the one spot so you can cut their throats with a very sharp knife.

------------
So how are things in Royston Vasey these days? ;-)

Tony Williams

In article ,
gandalf wrote:

The rabbit population has grown to an incredible extent and does
cause considerable damage in the countryside.

[snip]

Up until a couple of years ago they were increasing
around here as well. Then the Mixy came back and a
rabbit is a rare sight now. Keep the dog away from
a rabbit that looks a bit dozy and/or has pus around
the eyes.

--
Tony Williams.
Nick Nelson

BigWallop wrote:

This is a local group for local people. We'll have no trouble here

Which reminds me, did the Yorkshire get-together proposal
reach any sort of conclusion?

Nick

The Natural Philosopher

Andy Hall wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:40:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

get yer air rifle and have rabbit pie! Really nice with a bit of piegon
sausage and wabbit in them Nice thick gwavy and lossa uniuns, topped off
with Mr waitrose puff pastry.

Cut up onions, and sizzle till golden brown. Add bacon scraps and
sausages for fat and flavour

Skin pigeons and wabbits, and cut off all the nice bits and chop into
chunks for the pan. Give the rest to the dog/cat/mother in law.

Coat in flour, and fry gently till pretty to look at.

Add water, or vegetable stock or chicken stock and some soy sauce for
flavour and colour. Pepper is good too, simmer till almost tender. You
can add ale, cider, sherry or red wine for varous flavours, also nutmeg
and the usual scarborough fair herb suite

Shove in pie dish, add pastry top decorating with playboy style rabbit
logo, and bake in top of aga for about 40 minutes. Put in some jacket
potatoes at the same time.

Serve with steamed green beans or vegetable of choice, with lots of beer
of favorite brand.

MMMM

I have a very similar recipe. Works excellently and will keep for
ages in the simmering oven if people are late (assuming it isn't eaten
first) :-)

Regarding the baked potatoes; have you tried rubbing the skins with
sea salt before baking them? That really enhances the flavour and
crisps the skins nicely. I like Maldon salt best for this.

Not usually, but I know the technique.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

The Natural Philosopher

Steve Firth wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mmm. Mines an HW95. Its certainluy is inly accurate to 30m

Accurate no, but I'm not too bothered where I hit a rabbit as long as I
hit it. This isn't competition shooting.

I can't guarantee to hit anything rabbit or pigen sized at 60m with
that gun frankly. If I do hit em more than a ruffle of teh feathers,
they are dead meat tho.

Peter Ashby

In article ,
Tony Williams wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I don't believe the disease crosses species boundaries,
and, in fact, myxy wabbits are safe to eat.

You can if you like, me and mine are not going to.

A famous phrase from the past.......

"It is scientifically impossible for BSE to
cross the species barrier."

It has not been definitively shown that it can, by ingestion anyway.
Injection of purified infectious material directly into the brain are a
different matter.

Balance of probability says vCJD is probably related to BSE but there
are too many unanswered questions to be definitive about it.

To put it into perspective since vCJD was identified 132 people have
died from it. In the same period 659 people died from the sporadic form
which has been here all along.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Jet

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"gandalf" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

My snared rabbits never stay snared for long. They're usually skinned

and
in the pot within an hour. The only reason for the snare is to keep

them in
the one spot so you can cut their throats with a very sharp knife.

------------
So how are things in Royston Vasey these days? ;-)

LOL

This is a local group for local people. We'll have no trouble here !!!
:-))

lmao ))

Gnube

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:57:35 +0100, Peter Ashby
wrote:

if you ever want to look stuff up.

Me=Guy in street - the guy next door does "looking up stuff like
this"! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}