DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Undertile Heating Advice (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/74812-undertile-heating-advice.html)

Noah October 27th 04 09:38 AM

Undertile Heating Advice

Hi all

I hope to lay electic undertile heating to a sound, dry concrete floor
that has a hard bitumen screed, which is in good condition and is
level. This will not be the sole heat source, but merely for comfort.
Will the bitumen melt?! I don't want the extra thickness of an
additional insulation layer such as 10mm Martex. Any advice
appreciated.

Thanks
Noah

BigWallop October 31st 04 06:53 AM

"Noah" wrote in message
om...
Hi all

I hope to lay electic undertile heating to a sound, dry concrete floor
that has a hard bitumen screed, which is in good condition and is
level. This will not be the sole heat source, but merely for comfort.
Will the bitumen melt?! I don't want the extra thickness of an
additional insulation layer such as 10mm Martex. Any advice
appreciated.

Thanks
Noah

I would advise It would be best to lay 6mm plywood, or even hardboard, on
top the bitumen first Noah. The heat system will melt into the bitch and
will create a terrible smell as it does so. A thin layer of ply will stop
this happening and, should also act as a good insulator to throw the heat
back up toward the room where you need it most instead of trying to heat the
bulk of the floor mass first before the heat starts to radiate upwards.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck with it.

---