DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ideal Concord WRS 240 - removal (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/74734-ideal-concord-wrs-240-removal.html)

Hippo October 26th 04 07:21 PM

Ideal Concord WRS 240 - removal

Hi All

Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without resorting to JCB /
explosives !?
Does anyone know how much it weighs roughly?

From what I can see, there is a frame on the wall which the boiler has been
slotted in to.
There are a couple of studs that are located into cut outs in the frame. I
would guess that the boiler has been lifted into the slots, pushed back and
then settled into a lower cut out (1/4'') to prevent it moving. The problem
I have is there doesn't seem to be enough give to lift the thing up 1/4'' to
bring it out. All the pipes connecting it have been disconnected.
Is there something else to this?

TIA

Hippo

Ed Sirett October 26th 04 11:21 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:21:24 +0100, Hippo wrote:

Hi All

Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without resorting to JCB /
explosives !?

It unbolts. You seem to have found the studs.
You're best bet is to try and remove the heat exchanger from
the rest as this will reduce the total weight you have to move in one go.
Evenso that part alone will be at least 50kg.
Added to which you have to make sure that the dregs don't splash over the
brand new kitchen...
It will of course be positioned awkwardly.

Does anyone know how much it weighs roughly?

Plenty.

From what I can see, there is a frame on the wall which the boiler has been
slotted in to.
There are a couple of studs that are located into cut outs in the frame. I
would guess that the boiler has been lifted into the slots, pushed back and
then settled into a lower cut out (1/4'') to prevent it moving. The problem
I have is there doesn't seem to be enough give to lift the thing up 1/4'' to
bring it out. All the pipes connecting it have been disconnected.
Is there something else to this?

2 people required for this job.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Many thanks, two people will be giving it a go now.

It will of course be positioned awkwardly.

I'm coming to the conclusion the house was built around the boiler :-)

Christian McArdle October 27th 04 11:54 AM

Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without resorting to JCB /
explosives !?

Good luck. I had similar trouble with a Glowworm Fuelsaver F. The crowbar
was my friend. Of course, after it is a mangled wreck on the floor, it
becomes obvious where (but not why) the concealed fixings were.

Christian.

Tony Bryer October 27th 04 12:11 PM

In article , Hippo wrote:
Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without

resorting to JCB /
explosives !?
Does anyone know how much it weighs roughly?

As Ed says, a lot. I had one and got it off the wall single handed
by undoing the nuts at the front of the studs and taking off the
heat exchanger sections (2 IIRC) one at a time,

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Geo October 27th 04 06:37 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:21:24 +0100, "Hippo" wrote:

Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without resorting to JCB /
explosives !?
Does anyone know how much it weighs roughly?

exactly 163 lb (74kg) dry

From what I can see, there is a frame on the wall which the boiler has been
slotted in to.

Correct.
The frame is screwed to the wall with 3 coach screws 8 x 50 mm (5/16 x 2in)

There are a couple of studs that are located into cut outs in the frame. I
would guess that the boiler has been lifted into the slots, pushed back and
then settled into a lower cut out (1/4'') to prevent it moving.

The fitting instructions say
"Lift the boiler onto the wall mounting plate, entering the projecting flue duct
into the opening cut in the wall, and lowering the two suspension slots into the
slotted bearers at the top of the wall mounting plate side angles. Fit the M8
washers and nuts and secure the boiler in position."

The problem
I have is there doesn't seem to be enough give to lift the thing up 1/4'' to
bring it out. All the pipes connecting it have been disconnected.
Is there something else to this?

Well it took brute force to lift mine - had to use two ladders with a long plank
between them holding the boiler. By geting my shoulder underneath I was able to
slowly raise a rung at at time as my wife moved the ladders.

Next one will be floor mounted or fitted by someone else...

luck,

Geo

John Rumm October 27th 04 09:00 PM

Christian McArdle wrote:

Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without resorting to JCB /
explosives !?

Good luck. I had similar trouble with a Glowworm Fuelsaver F. The crowbar
was my friend. Of course, after it is a mangled wreck on the floor, it
becomes obvious where (but not why) the concealed fixings were.

;-) I had one of those... it did take a while working out what to undo.
In the end I went for the undo anything that might even remotely be
holding it on approach, take it off the wall, then reattach anything
spurious you took of needlessly!

(was still usable after... someone from this group had it, never did
hear if he got it installed ok after though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Hippo October 28th 04 01:26 PM

Many thanks to all that responded.

We managed to get the front heat exchanger off quite easily, the rear part
had to be ripped out of the frame as some iron bushes had rusted solid.

Then it all became clear, some wet plaster had fallen behind the boiler and
set on top of the flue. This prevented any vertical movement and so stopped
us lifting the boiler out of the frame. I didn't mind destroying the thing,
there was no way it would run again, its 30yrs old and corroded very badly.

I can see the air in the kitchen slowly changing back from blue :-)

Hippo.

"Hippo" wrote in message
Hi All

Anyone know how to get this boiler off the wall without resorting to JCB /
explosives !?
Does anyone know how much it weighs roughly?

From what I can see, there is a frame on the wall which the boiler has
been slotted in to.

Akhal November 7th 16 10:14 PM

Ideal Concord WRS 240 - removal

replying to Hippo, Akhal wrote:
Remove flue and side nuts

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...al-117981-.htm

Heliotrope Smith. November 7th 16 10:50 PM

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 10:14:03 PM UTC, Akhal wrote:
replying to Hippo, Akhal wrote:
Remove flue and side nuts

--

After twelve years the op is probably replacing the replacement boiler.

John Rumm November 8th 16 02:38 AM

On 07/11/2016 22:14, Akhal wrote:

replying to Hippo, Akhal wrote:
Remove flue and side nuts

Thank you so much for your valuable contribution... Shame the poor chap
had to sit there in the cold for the last 12 years waiting to find out
how to do it eh?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...check_the_date

--
Cheers,

John.

Brian Gaff November 8th 16 09:09 AM

Ideal Concord WRS 240 - removal

I think the side nuts are the people who use this crazy portal to usenet
even though its obviously bust.
Brian

--
----- -