DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulating house walls with no vapour barrier. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/74695-insulating-house-walls-no-vapour-barrier.html)

Ian Stirling October 26th 04 02:18 PM

Insulating house walls with no vapour barrier.

I have 12mm plasterboard about 5-10cm out from a 50cm stone wall.
There is no vapour barrier.

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used in this sort of situation
that will not cause condensation problems?

Or is my next task to either replace /add foiled plasterboard, paper the
insides with some sort of vapour barrier, or invent a 2" deep robot that
can climb along the inside of the walls and spray bitumen.

IMM October 26th 04 02:24 PM

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I have 12mm plasterboard about 5-10cm out from a 50cm stone wall.
There is no vapour barrier.

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used in this sort of situation
that will not cause condensation problems?

Has there been problems in the past? Best panit the wlal with opil based
paint. A 2 to 3 coats.

in2minds October 26th 04 02:26 PM

I have 12mm plasterboard about 5-10cm out from a 50cm stone wall.
There is no vapour barrier.

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used in this sort of
situation
that will not cause condensation problems?

Or is my next task to either replace /add foiled plasterboard, paper
the
insides with some sort of vapour barrier, or invent a 2" deep robot
that
can climb along the inside of the walls and spray bitumen.

why not use insulated plasterboard ?
it's basically a sandwich of insulation (polystyrene or whatever it is),
a vapour barrier and plasterboard on top.

LJ

Ian Stirling October 26th 04 03:12 PM

in2minds wrote:
I have 12mm plasterboard about 5-10cm out from a 50cm stone wall.
There is no vapour barrier.

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used in this sort of
situation
that will not cause condensation problems?

Or is my next task to either replace /add foiled plasterboard, paper
the
insides with some sort of vapour barrier, or invent a 2" deep robot
that
can climb along the inside of the walls and spray bitumen.

why not use insulated plasterboard ?
it's basically a sandwich of insulation (polystyrene or whatever it is),
a vapour barrier and plasterboard on top.

Because it'll be quite a lot more expensive (I assume).
And if possible, I'd prefer a solution that does not involve removing
existing board.

Ian Stirling October 26th 04 03:13 PM

IMM wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I have 12mm plasterboard about 5-10cm out from a 50cm stone wall.
There is no vapour barrier.

Is there any sort of insulation that can be used in this sort of situation
that will not cause condensation problems?

Has there been problems in the past? Best panit the wlal with opil based
paint. A 2 to 3 coats.

Does anyone have figures on vapour permeability of oil paint?

Christian McArdle October 26th 04 04:30 PM

Does anyone have figures on vapour permeability of oil paint?

Not off the top of my head, but when I did, it wasn't particularly
effective, but better than nothing. Certainly several coats of undercoat
would be required to have a useful effect.

Christian.

IMM October 26th 04 04:45 PM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

Does anyone have figures on vapour permeability of oil paint?

About 1/4 of a vapour barrier, so a put a good few coats.