Ken

Default Laying cable in screed floor

I'm having an extension built (single story bedroom at side) The
builders have finished the base concrete and will soon lay 2" plastic
insulation and 4" screed on top. A 'knowledgeable friend' has just
pointed out that now would be a good time to lay an armoured cable
from my mains supply to the garage - under the insulation and/or
screed and out through the front garden as deep as I can get it.

Is this a good idea / legal ?

If so, does it need any protection as well as the armouring under the
screed? How would I fix it to the floor?

TIA
Ken
tony sayer

In article , Ken
writes
I'm having an extension built (single story bedroom at side) The
builders have finished the base concrete and will soon lay 2" plastic
insulation and 4" screed on top. A 'knowledgeable friend' has just
pointed out that now would be a good time to lay an armoured cable
from my mains supply to the garage - under the insulation and/or
screed and out through the front garden as deep as I can get it.

Is this a good idea / legal ?

If so, does it need any protection as well as the armouring under the
screed? How would I fix it to the floor?

TIA
Ken

If you can why not install a cable duct so that other services can be
added in as and when required?...
--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher

Ken wrote:

I'm having an extension built (single story bedroom at side) The
builders have finished the base concrete and will soon lay 2" plastic
insulation and 4" screed on top. A 'knowledgeable friend' has just
pointed out that now would be a good time to lay an armoured cable
from my mains supply to the garage - under the insulation and/or
screed and out through the front garden as deep as I can get it.

Is this a good idea / legal ?

Yes, and IIRC yes.

If so, does it need any protection as well as the armouring under the
screed? How would I fix it to the floor?

Mmm. Not sure, but I would hazard a guess that no, it needs no
protection, but I would personally slip some of that foam insulation
over it to avoid stress on it.

In practice, you can nail straps to the concrete I would say.

Under the ground, you are supposed to go down a foot or three. I used a
mini digger for a similar escapade once.

Makes it a lot easier. Get it well below digging depth anyway, and lay a
ribbon of that 'caution/hazard' tape over it. Best to lay it in a
shingle bed too, but not mandatory. See regs.

TIA
Ken

Ian Stirling

Ken wrote:
I'm having an extension built (single story bedroom at side) The
builders have finished the base concrete and will soon lay 2" plastic
insulation and 4" screed on top. A 'knowledgeable friend' has just
pointed out that now would be a good time to lay an armoured cable
from my mains supply to the garage - under the insulation and/or
screed and out through the front garden as deep as I can get it.

Is this a good idea / legal ?

Yes.
Me, I'd go for 3" pipe laid under the lawn, with wide swept bends.
In case you want later to run heating/water/sewerage/... out to the
garage in the future.